Mountain Project Logo

Kentucky-Tennessee climbing in late Feb/March. Thoughts?

Original Post
CrimpDaddy WesP · · Chattanooga!! · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3,185

Hey all

Hoping to go climbing Late Feb-Early March.
Thinking about going down to Obed and Clear creek, the tennessee wall, Northern Alabama bouldering, etc. and maybe hitting red river gorge on the way down (its just so dang extensive). Wondering what the climbing season is like down there at those times. I suppose it depends on the location. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

(New Mexico ! Texas?! \:~7

Hey now, !
check the weather (that's obvious), wet, raw conditions will be specific to the locations. That said, gorges, ravines and river canyons in the south are amazing but follow the sunshine.

Tallulah Gorge ! ! ! ?

After re-checking the February Atlanta Georgia forecast it looks better than my wife had led me to belive
" Luooceee, yoo got sum, 'spanning to do"

. Using the Atlanta weather for (better?) reliability, ? YMMV

Madeline Farmer · · Oakland, California · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Speaking for the Red River Gorge, I could see most of the south being about the same though; the weather can be fairly unpredictable. I would be watching the week before you leave. Feb/March can be rainy, perfect, or snowing haha. It is most defiantly starting to warm up down there, but usually warmer temps in early spring bring some rain. With that being said, I've had many good trips down there during this time for sure. I would expect a decent amount of routes to be seeping. But the great thing about the red is that even when it is raining, you are always able to find some dry (steep) routes!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Tennessee is a popular winter destination. I know people who've been there in January, so late Feb/early March should definitely be tolerable as long as it's dry.

The Red...might be doable. Could be a bit early, but you might get lucky with moderate temps.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

The Red is a crapshoot that time of the year, just check the weather beforehand, we have been climbing quite a bit this winter, but it also takes a lot longer to dry out if it rains and there can be problems with even the steep walls condensating if the ambient temperature is greater than temp of the rock. In short the sunlight is more important than the ambient temp.

What do you mean about the Red being expensive?

CrimpDaddy WesP · · Chattanooga!! · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3,185

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

@drrockso- extensive not expensive. Rrg is a trip in itself, and l want to hit a variety of places.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Ah the dyslexia is real.

DB Cee · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2007 · Points: 146

Forecast means nothing.

Living in Chatt for almost 7 years I can say that pretty much every climbing zone around here has it's own weird micro climate. Just this week It was snowing and crazy cold 20 min north of town all day and we went south where the forecast was "rain" all day and climbed all day with no rain and sun shining.

With that being said...this region is a place that one needs more time than less in case of bouts of rain. Plus there are plenty of crags that you can climb at when it does rain.

J C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0
Blake Cash wrote:Forecast means nothing. Living in Chatt for almost 7 years I can say that pretty much every climbing zone around here has it's own weird micro climate. Just this week It was snowing and crazy cold 20 min north of town all day and we went south where the forecast was "rain" all day and climbed all day with no rain and sun shining. With that being said...this region is a place that one needs more time than less in case of bouts of rain. Plus there are plenty of crags that you can climb at when it does rain.
How does the obed do in the rain? I've heard good things but I have never been.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Kentucky-Tennessee climbing in late Feb/March.…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.