Mountain Project Logo

Internet Access walking distance to Climbing

Original Post
David Mehr · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 70

Preface: My buddy and I are in med school together, both passionate about climbing. Last spring after we finished our second year we had 1.5months off to study for our board exams (Step 1), a test score which is used as a metric by hospitals to evaluate us as prospective residency applicants. Needless to say we wanted to do very well. We devised a plan to room together somewhere close to climbing where we could study all day long every day and then go climb every evening for 3-4 hours. We did this last Spring at Smith Rock, staying in a wonderful friend's guest house, literally right next to the park.

The setup had everything we wanted. Kitchen, shower, internet access, and 15 minute walking access to the vertical world.

Long story short we want to do the same thing again this year for our next board exam (step 2), only trouble is that this time our time off is in July, not April/May. July certainly isn't ideal smith conditions. So we're looking for a similar setup to what we had, only in climbing locals ideal for the hot summer months.

The main kicker is that we have to have internet access and we want the transition time from studying to climbing to be as short as possible. Not opposed to being somewhere were we have to do a little driving, as long as it is short. We are happy to pay rent of course. Climbing in July a few destinations come to mind, Wild Iris, Ten Sleep, the Uintas, Squamish, but I don't know where we could stay that would be near those locals and still have wifi access.

So if you can think of anywhere that fits this bill, anyone with a house close to climbing looking to rent it out in the summer, etc. Let us know. Thanks!

Timothy L · · New York · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

Gunks.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

You mention Wild Iris - what about Sinks? It's close to town.

Other ideas,
Boulder - you've got the FlatIrons, Eldo, and Boulder Canyon right there.

Fayetteville, WV - the New is just amazing.

Laramie is not too far a drive from Vedauwoo.

North Conway, NH

also maybe stay near Lexington and climb at the Red. Lexington itself might be too far of a drive, but if you get way out in the suburbs in that direction.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Stagg54 Taggart wrote:Other ideas, Boulder - you've got the FlatIrons, Eldo, and Boulder Canyon right there.
They are students - Boulder would probably be out of the price range.
Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

You can find good deals on summer sublets when most of the students leave town. My climbing partner and I did this for two summers during grad school.

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Index Washington, no brainer. Only thing missing is the shower piece, but you're talking about the most primo time of year to hop in the Skykomish river, and there is wifi aplenty at the coffee shop/rafting company in town

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10
Stagg54 Taggart wrote:North Conway, NH

Seneca has wifi...

Andy P. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 190

A decent tablet computer with cellular data plan + a hammock means you could study AT many crags; the lame part is that it requires some capital investment.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

Squamish. Boulder. Salt Lake City. Gunks. Rumney. Maybe?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
JCM wrote:Anything on the east coast is humid and buggy in the summer.
This. Basically, anything east of Denver is not the best choice for July.
Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

Squamish. Dibs on your couch :)

Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 927

An old friend of mine and her husband just moved to Tensleep recently and are building a cabin/camp ground in the area. They actually just bolted a crag literally right across the street from their ranch. Check out their page. This is probably something you would be really interested in.

facebook.com/tensleeprockra…

Louie Anderson is the husband. He has been around the climbing world for a while...bolted local areas here, Riverside Quarry, Echo Cliffs, Malibu Creek to name a few.

Marc801 wrote: This. Basically, anything east of Denver is not the best choice for July.
How about the further north you go? I know the Dak's get black flies, but what about North Conway or Acadia or something up there?

Definitely further south like NC is definitely too hot/humid that time of year.

Thanks for all the contributions everyone!

A little more info. My buddy Kevin grew up in Seattle and I in Oregon. Our Med school is in Lexington, KY. While I know you can make summer climbing work just about anywhere, we're definitely planning on heading somewhere back west for this trip. What I meant to ask is not what places will be great for summer climbing, but specifically if anyone knows of housing available at those places. I've been looking mostly in Lander and Squamish but haven't found any type of summer sublets that would fit the bill yet. Open to other locations as well though.

Andy P, we've definitely thought about the cellular data plan + computer option. Not sure if our plans could sustain that much internet use, and we study about 10-12 hours a day so that would still limit us to locations with continuous power supply.

Again thanks for all the thoughts, keep em coming.

Jan, that looks promising, love me some tensleep, thanks for the lead!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Stagg54 Taggart wrote: How about the further north you go? I know the Dak's get black flies, but what about North Conway or Acadia or something up there?
I've always found the Daks and North Conway about equal to the Gunks in summer - sometimes great, but more often humid - sometimes oppressively so - and buggy. Acadia is a beautiful place and has some good climbing, but hardly destination-worth if going for just the climbing. It is cooler and more pleasant in the summer thanks to it being an island.
IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

Squamish. Although it seems like you may be more interested in sport climbing than trad? Maybe that specification would help the discussion.

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974

Squamish for sure. You can camp for free, score 2 dollar showers at the health club, wifi at the adventure center. Sport climb/camp in Chek, lots of awesome bouldering close to town. You can walk to smoke bluffs from the adventure center and climb. Plus you can make trips back to Seattle easy on weekends if need be,

In terms of types of climbing sport, trad, and bouldering all viable. Nothing multi pitch as we're trying to do quick evening sessions each day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Internet Access walking distance to Climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started