Mountain Project Logo

TUFA Climbing - Mochilla Pack

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

Josh have you got your hands on the olive X-42? I have pack in X-33 multicam but 42 in green looks like a nice alternative to the camo 30 and 50.

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Michael,
Thank you for the feedback on the Mochilla and idea there with the Wild Country design. I googled around and couldn't any photos online but I feel like you described it pretty well. A fanny pack style swami would be an awesome Idea for soloing ice. I'm going to think on that one for sure.

Why Moutain Project stoppeth thy proliferation with the post limits?

Brian,
Thank you for the continued support! Glad I could throw those Houdinis together for you.

I decided to scrap the side zip to the main just in case of the worst case scenario, though I actually liked and trusted the zipper.

I'm doing it right above the shoulder straps now with another inside pocket to the foam suspension sheet.

Always happy to add any easy modifications to the bag.

James T,
I had some VX-42 in the past and I really liked the stuff. Right now it's just have a bunch of colors in the VX-21 and Charcoal, Marigold, and Navy in the VX-51.

I've been thinking about another mini haulbag/bolt bag design to make out of either the 42 or 51.

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

First, you may find some product inspiration on this thread

mountainproject.com/v/issue…

Second, damnitt. I just bought a new bag. Now I find Tufa and am wanting this stuff

Third, I'd really like to see some pics of the products in use like the chalk bags and salathe bag. Hard to get a feel how they compare to others in size, particularly the salathe one which looks interesting. Also wondering how that jives w/ a chalk bag as it seems theyd be in each other's way.

Swabian,

Here is photo of the Houdini being used to give you an idea on size; keep in mind that this model is slightly taller with the bottom compartment. In comparison to other bags on the market mine tend to be towards the bigger side of the spectrum.

Houdini Chalk Bag

He is a closer look at the Salathe

VX-21 Fabric

And here they are together, sorry for the poor picture:

Talc and Salathe

The Salathe rides next to the chalkbag and they both work well together. The Salathe is really a simple, ultralite bag with a reinforced attachment system for peace of mind.

Thanks for the questions, Swabian!

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

Just wondering.

How is 'Mochilla' pronounced?

With a double L sound, or Y as in 'MochiYYa'?

:-)

Sdm1568 · · Ca · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 80

Bumpski for quality custom gear!

Locker wrote:Just wondering. How is 'Mochilla' pronounced? With a double L sound, or Y as in 'MochiYYa'? :-)
Good question, Locker.

Pronounced: "Mo' Chill Ya"

Going of the marketing motif of this North Face mank I'm wear testing.

Mo'Foam

Truth be told though I was going for "Mochiyya". 'Mochila' is spanish for backpack, I messed up the spelling with the double LL.

So yeah, call it what ever you want.

SDM:

Much appreciated! :)

vimeo.com/187493269?utm_sou…
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

If anyone wantz, Josh has it covered

Thanks for posting pictures of that bag, Michael! That thing is wildly cool, definitely picked up a few ideas looking at the different features. Looks like it's super simple and compresses nicely, now I just need to find some 'full-strength' hardware!

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Seems a wiser choice to not give away the goods!

Hey all,

I've been getting some PMs concerning this thread so I thought I'd throw up some photos of the newly redesigned Mochilla.

Major changes include:

• Hydration bladder sleeve and port
  • G-hook rope catch
  • YKK Uretek Zipper
  • Geometrically improved bottom pleats
  • Speed Opening
  • Improved Shoulder Straps
  • Removed flex strips

Stats:

Volume: 20L +3L extension , 1220 cubic inches + 200

Weight: Cuben - 11 oz , 315g / VX-21 - 14 oz , 400g

The pack shown below is built with 2.92 Cuben Fiber hybrid. Until I can properly test the durability of this fabric I'm only offering the Mochilla in VX-21 / VX-51.

If anyone has any questions or ideas please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Josh

2.92 Cuben Fiber hybrid fabric. 11 ounces, 20L + extension

Uretek Zip Pocket, Dyneema hydro port, G-hook Rope Catch. Helmet Tabs

More efficient drawcord, 70d Silnylon shroud

Dyneema hydroport

Straps
Evan Gates · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 9

Well I'm sold. Any idea how long you'll test the new material before you make a durability decision?

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I've used that material extensively in my original HMG Ice Pack and in a pack from ZPacks before I got my full Dyneema Ice Pack and Summit Pack. It will cut and abrade fairly easily. Nevertheless, many folks, me included, would use it in a pack like this made to be worn while climbing. I would not use it as a daily crag hauler, as stuff like cams and nut tools and throwing it down on rocks will destroy it. As long as you recognize its limitations, it's fine

I want two Cuben Hybrid Houdinis, a Cuben Mochilla, and a Chalk Bucket. When you're ready to sell them, I'll place my order.

Evan Gates wrote:Well I'm sold. Any idea how long you'll test the new material before you make a durability decision?
Thanks for the interest, Evan! I just got shoulder surgery on Feb. 7th so I haven't been able to really abuse it yet.

That said my thoughts on it are in line with Brian's below.

I'm psyched on the Cuben and I'll be using my cuben mochilla on multipitch climbs where I'm not hauling or going through tight chimneys.

Really though, I think that VX-21 and anything from the VX series is a much better value. Dimension Polyant on the East Coast is putting out some incredible fabrics that I'm really psyched about and make the cost of the finished bag about 30% lower.

Let me know what kind of objective you have in mind, Evan. I can cater the pack to your needs.
Brian Abram wrote:I've used that material extensively in my original HMG Ice Pack and in a pack from ZPacks before I got my full Dyneema Ice Pack and Summit Pack. It will cut and abrade fairly easily. Nevertheless, many folks, me included, would use it in a pack like this made to be worn while climbing. I would not use it as a daily crag hauler, as stuff like cams and nut tools and throwing it down on rocks will destroy it. As long as you recognize it's limitations, it's fine I want two Cuben Hybrid Houdinis, a Cuben Mochilla, and a Chalk Bucket. When you're ready to sell them, I'll place my order.
Thank you for the feedback, Brian! You're a Cuben connoisseur!

This is my first time working with cuben fiber and it's good to hear your experience with it.

With the face fabric on the cuben hybrid I'm experimenting with the blue pack using traditional construction methods and cuben tape. I'm committed to continuing to explore some construction and design concepts with the dyneema fabrics.

I've had the same concerns with durability for the overall general public, but I think you and I use gear in a similar way. I think for the right climber and area it's a really awesome fabric for sure.

I'm waiting on some biothane coated webbing to arrive and then I'll be ready to throw together some gear for you and Dana.

I really respect how you two climb and I'd love to hear anymore thoughts you have on Dyneema fabrics and the overall niche.

I'll keep in touch!

Updated Mochilla design shown in Dimension Polyant X-Pac Fabric.

VX-21 Pack Body with VX-42 Straps. Bright blue internal lining.

Volume: 20L +3L extension , 1220 cubic inches + 200 extension

Weight: 400g , 14 oz

VX-21 Pack with open shroud extension, Metal G-hook rope catch.

Speed opening

construction detail

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

Ooh, me want. I like the design better than my cilogear leaders pack. Does this sit high up above your harness too? From the pics, it seems a bit long to lead with but perhaps I'm wrong there.

Also, a small request/suggestion: it'd be greate if you could list metric weights As well. You have 20 liters capacity but then oz. Yeah, I just google'd the conversion but I think for climbing gear, it's best to always have both.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Climb Germany wrote:Ooh, me want. I like the design better than my cilogear leaders pack. Does this sit high up above your harness too? From the pics, it seems a bit long to lead with but perhaps I'm wrong there. Also, a small request/suggestion: it'd be greate if you could list metric weights As well. You have 20 liters capacity but then oz. Yeah, I just google'd the conversion but I think for climbing gear, it's best to always have both.
Super easy to lead in. I took it up a 1600' climb with a walk off at the end of 2016. I am short with a small torso and had had no problems. Probably lead with it 20 times or so.
Climb Germany wrote:Ooh, me want. I like the design better than my cilogear leaders pack. Does this sit high up above your harness too? From the pics, it seems a bit long to lead with but perhaps I'm wrong there. Also, a small request/suggestion: it'd be greate if you could list metric weights As well. You have 20 liters capacity but then oz. Yeah, I just google'd the conversion but I think for climbing gear, it's best to always have both.
Hey Germany,

The pack was designed to ride above your harness and is shaped to have clearance for your neck and arms to make finding gear and climbing less cumbersome.

I've climbed with the last iteration (same form) from Yosemite to Squamish and I really feel it carries great both on the approach and sharp end.

Thank you for the feedback on the stats, I made sure to edit those above and I'll get fixed on the site.

If you want a pack shipped to Germany shoot me a PM and we can make it happen. :)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "TUFA Climbing - Mochilla Pack"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.