Mountain Project Logo

Mount Borah - Early April

Original Post
aero8991 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hi All!

Im going to be driving though Idaho in early April and wanted to check out Borah Peak.

Does anyone have insight on conditions and would anyone be interested in tagging along for an adventure?
My Plan is to take the Standard Route up the SouthWest ridge line and then scramble up Chickenout Ridge. This route/plan would depend on snow and weather conditions.

Thanks,
Dan

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

It's Mount Borah, to us, not Borah Peak. Has its own page and tons of info on several sites, including some on MP.

Check out the Idaho Outdoors Forum, for live cams for the LRR, and some truly awesome trip reports. Also the parent website, Idaho Summits. Lots of great info and links.

Late April? Snow. Cold. Maybe true half the summer, this year. Boise had snow this week, at only about 2500'. Base of Borah is about 7500', and looks like there's new snow there, also. This was a record year, so....

Best, Helen (over in Boise)

Allen Clark · · Plaistow, NH · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 15

It's 5000ft. of elevation gain in only 3 miles, so be ready for some steep hiking, and bring plenty of water. Really cool hike. The part just before Chicken Out Ridge involves some scaling but if you're up for adventure it's great. I did it in August so I didn't need a rope, ice axe, or crampons. There was minimal snow. Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out Idaho Outdoor fourms and Idaho Summit that's some great info.

Sounds like I'll be battling lots of snow!

Thanks,

Dan

Might edit "February" to "April" in the title, too. :-)

:)

Michael McNutt · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

If you're planning on doing borah that early in the season, it might be wise to bring a pair of crampons and an ice axe with you. The cornice on chicken out ridge can get pretty big, so be prepared and exercise safe travel.

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

Heck, you might need snowshoes this year. Definitely check those sites (and the Forest Service office in Mackay) for up-to-date conditions right before you go.

Hey Dan, there's an update on Borah conditions on Idaho Outdoors, if you didn't see it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Mount Borah - Early April"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started