Mountain Project Logo

Ice Screw Holder - DIY with free sketch

Jace Mullen · · Oceanside, Ca · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 10

Anyone have an update on the ACE screw wraps? Looks like a way better option than BD. I just don't want him to get inundated with a bunch of emails from people asking for them.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

Holds 6 or 12 screws, flat, up to 16cm long.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote:YOU GUISE ARE LIGHT!1!!1!
Great idea Adam, kinda jealous :)

I throw alll my screws into a Camp crampon bag. I'm pretty certain I dinged up some of the threads of the screws. I'll be sending them off to the machine shop this spring.
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Jace Mullen wrote:Anyone have an update on the ACE screw wraps? Looks like a way better option than BD. I just don't want him to get inundated with a bunch of emails from people asking for them.
I bought mine a few weeks ago, that's the only way to buy them. Send an email, likely it will not be Conrad himself who responds. I think mine was $34 plus shipping - worth it to me.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Bill Kirby wrote: Great idea Adam, kinda jealous :)
Thanks mang, I'm stoked on it in theory. Ice has been shyte for a couple years in my driving range, and now that the baby is here, I've not been able to get out and take advantage of the good winter. It's not been tested IRL yet.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote: Thanks mang, I'm stoked on it in theory. Ice has been shyte for a couple years in my driving range, and now that the baby is here, I've not been able to get out and take advantage of the good winter. It's not been tested IRL yet.
The northeast hasn't been much better.. On the bright side there's been a bunch hero ice days.

I was thinking your holder would be great for mixed routes. I bought some BD UL cams reduce weight on my harness when climbing mixed and thin ice. With a gut and no ass I feel like my harness going to fall off sometimes. Well that and I love to see people's reactions when I tell them I bought a $110 cam for a 3+ that has a mixed crux :)
Bill Kirby wrote: I was thinking your holder would be great for mixed routes. I bought some BD UL cams reduce weight on my harness when climbing mixed and thin ice. With a gut and no ass I feel like my harness going to fall off sometimes. Well that and I love to see people's reactions when I tell them I bought a $110 cam for a 3+ that has a mixed crux :)
I think it will really help, especially with the older grivel screws which were a bit tough to rack on the harness in any number. You still have a couple/three on the harness, but they are nice and clean. I've found I like to rack alpine draws on a sling over the shoulder in that same spot when ice climbing, so I tossed a little loop there under the armpit for them. Screws come out one-handed with ease, but require a little finesse if you're trying to reload on the fly. Likely would clean to your harness, reload at the belay.
randy88fj62 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 291

Really cool to see everyone's designs. Thanks for sharing.

Jace Mullen · · Oceanside, Ca · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 10

I ended up getting the ACE design. Less shit to keep track of, supporting a good cause (all proceeds to Khumbu Climbing School), and cheaper than 2x BD rolls. Mine was all orange, not camo if that was a turnoff for anyone.

Bryan Vernetson · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 130

And where did you get the Ace design screw holder?

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

In case anyone is interested, I have my BD Ice Box for sale which includes a screw holder that holds 10 ice screws - it is detachable from the rest of the "box".

Here's my FS thread

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote:YOU GUISE ARE LIGHT!1!!1!
that thing is awesome. Excited to hear how it goes IRL. Keep us posted. Good job man.
Love this thread. I was at the second hand store digging through piles of duffles, gym bags, ladies purses looking for material to DIY my own ice screw carrier.

ps. I will continue to use the annoying plastic sheath, in addition to the DIY holder....I'm one of those OCD climbers.
Klimbien wrote: that thing is awesome. Excited to hear how it goes IRL. Keep us posted. Good job man. Love this thread. I was at the second hand store digging through piles of duffles, gym bags, ladies purses looking for material to DIY my own ice screw carrier. ps. I will continue to use the annoying plastic sheath, in addition to the DIY holder....I'm one of those OCD climbers.
Thanks. Got out this past weekend to finally try it out. Haven't climbed ice in 4 years, so the first pitch was exciting for sure. The bandolier worked like a dream. You forget they are on your chest, removing the screws was effortless. Having only two-four screws on your harness really cleans up your situation. I would improve a couple things, but not sure how best to do it.

1. I made it to fit me exactly (no adjustments on size, so it's a little harder to fasten the clip at first since it is tight

2. It tends to shift a little to the right and down as the day progresses, so I find myself pulling it a bit to reposition from time to time. Nothing major.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ice Screw Holder - DIY with free sketch"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started