Mountain Project Logo

What type of heated rock is best for cold weather climbing?

Original Post
Qho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Recently I have been climbing routes and my hands are going numb. I heard someone talking at the crag the other day about heating a rock on a small stove and dropping it in their chalk bag. While they are climbing the rock stays warm and will warm your hand up so you don't go numb. I thought this was a genius idea but I began to wonder what type of rock is the best? Ideally you would want a rock that had excellent heat retention to weight. I think some sort of volcanic rock would be the best. Maybe a Granite type would be better? And while we are talking about rocks I thought these heated rocks could double for wiping your ass after a hard burn on your project. So the rock needs to retain heat as well as feel nice on your ass when wiping. Any thoughts?

mtc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

Thank you. I will now go to work with a smile.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I usually microwave my shoes for three minutes before I climb on cold days. There - that's almost as dumb as the rock idea.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I haven't thought of the rock thing, but I know plenty of people who throw a hand warmer in the chalk bag.

Spacebird Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I'm not sure about what rock is best to keep your hands warm. I have had luck with rocks in Maple but have also burnt a hole in my chalk bag. As far as wiping your ass goes I prefer a nice round rock but not too round as to not be able to get deep in there to clean it properly. Again Maple Canon is good place for ass wiping rocks as well. Try to stay away from sandstone because it leaves sand up your butt.

BBQ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 554

Oh for the love of God! Go get yourself some Hot Hands Hand Warmers, tear the package open, shake for a few minutes, and put those in your chalk bag. They work just as well as those goddamned hot rocks and they won't burn the hell out of you or explode on the gas stove. They last for nearly 12 hours now and you won't have to keep reheating a stupid rock!

Jacob Staelin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Now I can't say much on the topic of heated rocks, I generally stick to hand warmers for that. However, in my experience if I have to use rocks for the wiping of the ass I prefer nice smooth rounded river rocks. If you can get them out of a running stream they can also act as somewhat of a wet wipe.

isaackulmcline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

As someone who likes light gear I would recommend a handheld pencil torch and basalt to save on weight. as a bonus the basalt makes your ass extra smooth.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
BBQ wrote:Oh for the love of God! Go get yourself some Hot Hands Hand Warmers, tear the package open, shake for a few minutes, and put those in your chalk bag. They work just as well as those goddamned hot rocks and they won't burn the hell out of you or explode on the gas stove. They last for nearly 12 hours now and you won't have to keep reheating a stupid rock!
Looks like the OP has snagged a live one!
aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

We all know heating rock over a flame is dangerous, not to mention too much hassle in this application. I prefer self-heating rocks, you know, the type that glows green in the dark and is a vital material to make things that goes “ka-booooom!” Problem is that it’s kind of hard to find rocks like that just laying around. But if I tell you where I get my glowing rocks from, I’ll have to kill you.

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

If you use one of these

then you won't have to heat it on the stove, you just need an extension cord.

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

HOT ROCKS are the Best. From my experience, a smallish rock about the 11 - 13 nut size will work great. Heat the rock on your stove let it cool for a bit about a minute the chuck it into your chalk bag.

Weight doesn’t really matter it weighs about 8 – 12 0z I’ve only used granite and lime stone but I’m sure all rock types work.

IMO I like hot rocks better than hand warmers because they produce way more heat than a hand warmer. It’s like a furnace for your chalk bag.

B Jolley · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 172

Heat rock for your chalk bag? How about a Heated chalk bag

Dylan Colon · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 491
engineeringtoolbox.com/spec…

What if you just heated up your chalk? It has a similar heat capacity to a rock by weight and the conductivity is probably similar. I've never tried this, but it seems to make sense. Definitely a much lower volumetric heat capacity than a rock, but it's light and going right onto your hand.
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

hawt rawks by the rollin stoners

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Dude, rocks aren't versatile enough. Just use your hand to wipe, and it'll be 98.6 degrees, surely enough to heat your cold hands.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I've seen the heated rock trick done a lot, I've never planned ahead well enough to carry a stove to the crag and try it myself. My gut feeling is that you should use whatever is on the ground.

I've wiped my ass a ton with rocks. I like an angular flat one, to scoop any dingleberries.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

What, you guys never studied science? Get some Plutonium-238, wrap it in lead shielding, the stuff will be good to keep you cozy for years. Or, skip lead, and mutate into a stronger climber.

RTG

C Ross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 105

I just climb with two micro torches. Use a lanyard to keep them on your wrists. then click the trigger and heat the hold before grabbing it. I find this works better on longer climbs when the rock in the chalk bag might be cooling down. Everyone at the gym looks at my like I am crazy but they keep it so cold in there, and some complain of a burning plastic smell.

Bat Masterson · · Red Rock, AZ · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 47

Surprised Alex our climber friend hasn't replied to this thread yet..

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 51
Woogie wrote:...smoother is better for the wiping rock, limestone is a bit sharp and tends to rip the skin.
I have to do a fair number of hemorrhoidectomies. I recommend using the sharpest rock you can find. If people did that, it would take care of the problem, so I'd get more time to go climbing.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What type of heated rock is best for cold weath…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started