Mountain Project Logo

Redpoint with Prehung Draws

Original Post
Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

If I'm sport climbing at a crag and the first time I climb a route I set the draws and don't climb it clean, then climb it a second time on lead clean, does it count as a repoint if the draws are still up?

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Yes. The pros do it all the time.

Max Tepfer · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 2,513

Yes. But it's worth noting the inherently flawed concept of 'it counting.'

LL2 · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 174

I thought this got settled in the 90s?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Daniel,

What "counts" is that you have fun and stay safe. Set your own standards and don't worry what other people think.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I'd love to see somebody hang draws ground up on something at the Madness Cave or Motherode in RRG, lol. Frank said it best, but yes, it is accepted to "count" a sport redpoint on pre-hung draws.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

Call it what you want. I call it a pink point, but plenty of folks get their panties in a bunch when you say such truths. Watch how defensive folks get to this post to see what I mean. We are one step away from calling a TR a red point...

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

On vertical routes, it is easier to lead a climb if the quick draws have already been placed, no doubt about it. Less energy needs to be used because there are fewer movements required. Since the draw hangs lower down on the rock compared to an empty hanger, it is marginally safer with preplaced draws because you don’t need to be as high above your previous protection to make the next clip.

For me personally, leading a route with preplaced draws doesn’t quite compare with leading a route placing the draws myself. Would both styles be called redpoint? I think it’s reasonable to debate.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

I'm pretty sure pinkpoint refers to trad climbs with pre-placed pro.
This includes fixed nuts, cams, pins, etc.

Sorry guys, you've been pinkpointing all these years without knowing it.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

So much butthurt already in this thread.

What if they are permanent chain draws?

What if the person who bolted it was taller?

The only people who care are in this thread.

Does the same logic apply to onsight/flash then? If someone hung the draws for me, I can still claim an onsight when I lead it?

Nathan Large · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 6

If you have to ask then the answer is no.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Just get rid of all the terms and lets go with this

All of these are free climbing related. Each group is its own I did not try to compare if top rope on sight was harder than projecting a route for months with bolts etc.

No beta / chalk
- first attempt without rope > First attempt with out metal gear > First attempt with metal gear > first attempt without pre-hung bolts > first attempt with pre-hung bolts > first attempt top rope

With beta / chalk
- first attempt without rope > first attempt with out metal gear > First attempt with metal gear > first attempt without pre-hung bolts > first attempt with pre-hung bolts> first attempt top rope

Multi attempts / practice
- without rope (yes i know u can't do this but u can practice with rope than get rid of it > with out metal gear > with metal gear > without pre-hung bolts > with pre-hung bolts> top rope

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

The only people who care are 5.8 trad leaders or old crusties who no longer climb.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

How often do people project/redpoint routes where you have to hand-hang the draws, anyways? Can you imagine cleaning your route after every burn? It's just silly.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

If you want a proper send you need to carry a pack with a bunch of PBRs in it and everytime you clip a bolt you have to pull one out and chug it. That is the only true way you can call a send.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25
Rob T wrote: Kind of like "pinkpoint truthers" when you point out that the original definition makes no mention of equipment. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red…(climbing)
"Original definition", funny that the terms pinkpoint and redpoint predate Wikipedia by a healthy margin.

Like I said, if your ego is so delicate that you can't stand admitting you pinkpointed, then call it a redpoint. Put whatever degrees you think you are entitled to on your walls too, does not bother me.
Kyle Tarry wrote: This isn't correct. The bolts/draws are all still the same distance apart, so you climb the same amount above the previous one to clip the next.
It is correct. You have to reach higher to clip a draw into a hanger than you do to clip a rope into a draw. I'm thinking around 4" with a standard draw. It doesn't amount to much, but I think it counts more than just splitting hairs. One way is easier than the other.

I see I'm in the minority here, that's cool, to each their own. I agree with David Kerkeslager's approach. I don't go around saying "I redpointed this route", I usually just say "I climbed it" or "I led it". If you need more detail than that, just ask.
Brad J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 471
Kyle Tarry wrote: This isn't correct. The bolts/draws are all still the same distance apart, so you climb the same amount above the previous one to clip the next.
Kyle

Think about what you said. It will come to you....
Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

When I pussypoint a route I have no problem telling people that is the style I climbed it in. Get over yourselves people!

Pete Spri · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 347
Moof wrote:Call it what you want. I call it a pink point, but plenty of folks get their panties in a bunch when you say such truths. Watch how defensive folks get to this post to see what I mean. We are one step away from calling a TR a red point...
But if you never fall on the TR...
:P
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Redpoint with Prehung Draws"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started