Mountain Project Logo

Toprope solo without a device

Original Post
Nick Evans · · Dallas, TX · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 17

Does anybody ever toprope solo just clipping into knots on the top rope? I know the benefits of using a good device, like the minitrax, but I just wonder if anybody has ever just clipped into knots on the rope.

For example, you could tie an 8 on a bight or a butterfly every 4 feet or so and just clip in as you move up the climb. 2 biners or draws on the belay loop would let you never be unclipped while you switch to a higher loop.

I am sure this is not a very easy way to do top rope solo, especially compared to some of the free sliding devices, just wondering if it is something anybody does. Is there some safety issue I am missing?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Getting whacked in the face by a hunk of metal? Dunno, just a thought.

OLH

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Apologies I dropped the tablet , looks like I should shut it down.

But 1st

I must resist responding with the now some how mis-understood response until I answer simply,

Yes.

Then in keeping with the recent benevolence of some much more accomplished
climbers than I, who post on here,
I will add just two words because I feel strongly that if you have to ask
(here is where to ask! Good on you for that)
you do not yet have enough experience to climb by your-self.

I feel for you if you have a rope and a rock and no one to climb with, but you need to be shown how to use simple rigging systems.
The various random factors of height, weight length & type of rope elongation properties of rope/anchor come into play & need to be experienced, 1st hand, practiced till you get what-ever system you use dailed in, before you go it alone.
this is better done in the company of at least a warm body.
an actual climbing mentor, or other capable climber type person is available,
that would obviously be better still.

Grab your mom! ( that is Three words, wait for it). . . ,?! Haha!(/:40
V . V . V

Old lady H wrote:Getting whacked in the face by a hunk of metal? Dunno, just a thought. OLH
Hey I just see who I was thinking of posted as I was.!

and now seeing that comment about taking a shot to the face, not Surgar Coated at all I'll add

You'r gonna die!

Oh and the two words?

CLOVE HITCH

YGD has been a thing that climbers say to one another; steeped in mysticism eastern religious thought, and dark humor, among other things it has many different meanings.

Nick, Michael's referring to my son literally roping me into being his belayer.

Yes, this has been in top rope solo threads before, perhaps even someone suggesting two rope strands.

Be patient, you'll get some answers, but a draw, on my belay loop, would for sure be a hazard in a fall.

Helen

Old lady H wrote:Nick, Michael's referring to my son literally roping me into being his belayer. Yes, this has been in top rope solo threads before, perhaps even someone suggesting two rope strands. Be patient, you'll get some answers, but a draw, on my belay loop, would for sure be a hazard in a fall. Helen
You. Will not shame me into divulging the secrets of setting up a simple pulley system or ' Sling-shot top rope, where you use a sliding Clove Hitch on double locking ' bieners, clipped to a doubled belay loop, While at the same time the climber is tied in to the other end of the rope
It is to near Rocket Science to be causally bantered about on the inter-tubes.

Some one might get hurt.
( S O M G H, pronounced. "" Sōum gh "")
( as you hit the ground, the 'G' sound is a hard ' G' as the air rushes out )
Michael McNutt · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Nah, it would be fine. I would use a large pear biner or two if you do that. Collecting knots is a method of backup for jugging and rope soloing. Dragging all those loops up with you is going to be a pain in the dick though, unless you alternate between two connections, even then it will still suck. Just pitch for a solo device. It makes things a lot more enjoyable.

Ana Tine wrote: I am dying laughing.
Ah and that reminds me !

The above poster is a big fan of DOWN CLIMBING! !
A supported under tension (think, on rappel) down climb. . . Clove Hitch. .
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Can you do it? Yes. Is it gonna suck? Oh yeah. Is it worth your time and effort? Only if you're desperate.

Seriously, you can find a used mini-trax for like 20-35 bucks and that will be significantly better than clipping knots.

If you like suffering enough to do the knots, it works better to have 2 different length connections to give you different stance options when clipping the next loop. Be prepared to spend more time clipping than actually climbing.

Daniel Winder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 101
Old lady H wrote:a draw, on my belay loop, would for sure be a hazard in a fall.
How's that?
OP: Yes, no problem. Use lockers
Daniel Winder wrote: How's that? OP: Yes, no problem. Use lockers
First, remember how much higher harnesses are on females. Second, I'm really short, so yeah, I'm cognizant of what gets clipped to my belay loops. Which is nothing that shouldn't be front and center flying up when I'm flying down. A draw would definitely be in face range, for me at least. Probably for Ana too!

:-) H.
Ana Tine wrote: Remember I have that negative ape index so I have a long body and short legs & arms. Terrible for climbing. Good for doing 'the worm.'
This is the most duplicitous statement you have ever made

when I die I hope come back as a tiny female rock climber.

It's a strength to weight ratio game!
Height, ( negative ape index lol) is a state of mind.
Ashima, for ya kids but lyn hill for me she worked incredibly hard to get unbelievably hard
5 foot may have grown an inch? But really you sell you self short.
Embrace the two step beat every one to the base of the cliff
Get hard (No Neck Meat) build your Neck & Shoulders (/:7@( I can't say that loudly enough.
Take every partner and tell them Tight Rope When I Start!

it really suks to fall over, while getting ready /stepping on
(but it happens, more than you realize)
and the weight descrepency between tiny climber and Aleks Wicheveski,
Is a well known "injury to pregnancy" story among an extinct subset of the female climber persuasion
better to feel the rope than have your belayer sit down and pull you over)

Always flex/crack that elbow,?
Get to 1finger pull ups then ther will be holds/B^7>,
Ana Tine wrote:I read that it's not good to be on the extreme of height for climbing - not too tall and not too short. Best to be average. I admit I did meet Ashima when she was an inch or so shorter than me, and already a rockstar. She was and still is super skinny. And I swear her arms were real long. Can't completely agree because climbers measure their Ape index, so it must matter somewhat. I have a girl friend whose hands are connected to her elbows (slight birth defect) and her Ape index is less than half her height. When she gets stuff off the table, she has to lean her entire body over.
Ok ok ok of course,

I was just having a bit of fun with an ex climber lookin....ing over my shoulder. .
Ou ex hit! Owe! She smacked me!

Any way ,,it is important for women to find the balance that is unique to their body type.
I've made a study /zB^7

By way of explanation there used to be a large descrepency between my climbing partner an I.
I was fixing a lace on a shoe, She sat down I fell over
There is a direct corollary to my domestication .!

The bit about the two step, is just a nod to the extra drive it takes, you might as well get the most benefit

, ?,What the wife wants to say
Is there are no long muscles when you're short, build your Neck & Shoulders!
I don't think she has ever chimed in before ?
G'night!

EDIT: ??

Nick Evans wrote:Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yeah, I actually do toprope solo sometimes, but not with the system I described. I am not interested in using knots the way I described, just interested in if anybody has tried it. Literally any device is going to be better than clipping knots. The one thing I totally missed is that there is no good way to get down. Thanks for feeding my curiosity!
YIKES, if that's for real. .? Here is the link mate, , , }8^O,,, Nick,

To be clear I have always used tag-lines, with alpine butterfly's along with in-line 8s
set as 'hand rails'to clip-in to (and move along back from the edge to the woods )
at the tops of climbs with more than one person in tow.

My dearest Mr. S, please ask your wife to whap you upside the head a few more times.

Ana, sorry for presuming. Obviously your dance skills are clearly superior to mine.

AND, topic at hand, draw could hit face for at least one climber on the planet. Allll I was trying to convey.

H.

Nick Evans · · Dallas, TX · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 17

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yeah, I actually do toprope solo sometimes, but not with the system I described. I am not interested in using knots the way I described, just interested in if anybody has tried it. Literally any device is going to be better than clipping knots. The one thing I totally missed is that there is no good way to get down. Thanks for feeding my curiosity!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Toprope solo without a device"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started