Mountain Project Logo

Finding climbing partners in Ten Sleep

Original Post
James Jaco · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 30

Hi,

I'm living in California, but am thinking about spending a few months in Ten Sleep and wanted to check with you guys what you think my odds are of finding a partner in a low population town like Ten Sleep. Would you recommend just posting to this forum whenever I need a partner?

Wilburn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 386

Greetings James,

You will have no trouble finding partners for Ten Sleep if you post in the Wyoming and Colorado forums. Depending on the months you will be there you could also find partners just by wandering old highway 18, as that is where a lot of folks find free camping.

The Ten Sleep Brewery is also popular, and a likely place to bump in to other parties of climbers.

James Jaco · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 30

Thanks Wilburn! I was worried it might be a bit of a struggle. Do you think my chances are good if I need a partner during the week and not necessarily on the weekends?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

There's no shortage of climbers from May-September, 7 days a week.

The new Tensleep Rock Ranch will be a great place to meet other climbers, camp, get beta...

tensleeprockranch.com/

If you're going to be there for a few months, be sure to make trips to Lander, Cody, Eastern Bighorns...

Wilburn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 386

Jason,
Is the Rock Ranch a new development? I had not heard anything about it until your post. Looks like a nice spot that should alleviate some of the pressure on the other developed campgrounds.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Wilburn wrote:Jason, Is the Rock Ranch a new development? I had not heard anything about it until your post. Looks like a nice spot that should alleviate some of the pressure on the other developed campgrounds.
Yep, the rock ranch is brand spanking new. Louie Anderson is the guy behind it (Socalbolter may be his name on MP?), and it looks like it will be awesome. Louie is currently in the process of bolting routes right on the property, so that should be pretty cool as well!
RyanO · · sunshine · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 145

Just be careful you don't get caught up in a driveby shooting at the campground..

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
RyanO wrote:Just be careful you don't get caught up in a driveby shooting at the campground..
Random acts of violence can happen anywhere. It is unfortunate that it happened in Tensleep, but to label this area as having a particular problem with "drive bys" is lame.

FWIW the shooter was caught after he murdered two people in Montana a couple years later.
RyanO · · sunshine · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 145

It was jesus, man..

james, you also have to keep an eye out for rattlesnacks, africanized beers, and the dreaded spraying braj. be sure to bring a fatty stick clip and a nice hard stiffy so you can be the envy of the gong show. whatever you do, remember to close the gate, so the french-canadians don't get out of the cattle ranch, wouldn't want them stampeding through the spray down at the rock ranch, eh.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Finding climbing partners in Ten Sleep"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started