Mountain Project Logo

Arcteryx Acrux AR Mountaineering Boots Review

Original Post
David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152
jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Thanks for writing the review, it's nice to see comments from someone who has put some serious vertical miles under them wearing these.

I have questions:

With the "right" crampons, do you feel they climb as well as your Baturas?

Regarding the crampon choice, I understand Blade Runners are a novel design with a little more rigidity, but the Cyborgs look like a pretty traditional semi-rigid crampon to me. I have Petzl Lynx - any reason to think they'd be different?

Thanks!

Karl Henize · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 643

Thanks for the review.

A more detailed performance comparison (flat footing, kicking steps, front pointing, rock climbing, etc.) with the Batura 2.0s would be helpful.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Any issues fitting the Cassin Bladerunners to the Arux AR? Did the Bladerunners stay tight on the boot?

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90

Bill, new boots already?

I decided to try on the Acrux vs Phantom Tech. If phantom tech fits you well, I can't imagine Acrux will fit. Toe box is just way to small. So try them on in person.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
divnamite wrote:Bill, new boots already? I decided to try on the Acrux vs Phantom Tech. If phantom tech fits you well, I can't imagine Acrux will fit. Toe box is just way to small. So try them on in person.
Haha.. thank you for information! I was thinking of buying these to replace my 6000s.

And thank you times 100! The boots couldn't fit any better :)
jdejace wrote:Thanks for writing the review, it's nice to see comments from someone who has put some serious vertical miles under them wearing these. I have questions: With the "right" crampons, do you feel they climb as well as your Baturas? Regarding the crampon choice, I understand Blade Runners are a novel design with a little more rigidity, but the Cyborgs look like a pretty traditional semi-rigid crampon to me. I have Petzl Lynx - any reason to think they'd be different? Thanks!
Yes! I definitely feel the performance is equal to the Batura's and doubt you would feel less secure with the Petzl Lynx... though it does come down a bit to how well they fit your feet. In my case the fit is a perfect match so I love climbing in them. Still love my Batura's too!
Karl Henize wrote:Thanks for the review. A more detailed performance comparison (flat footing, kicking steps, front pointing, rock climbing, etc.) with the Batura 2.0s would be helpful.
Valid requests. I can say from my field time these two would be a little hard to distinguish actual performance differences except that I think the lower profile Acrux AR might lend it self foot jams in certain specific situations but not enough to discredit the Batura 2.0 in a similar situation... the real difference between these two models is the removable liner IMO.
Bill Kirby wrote:Any issues fitting the Cassin Bladerunners to the Arux AR? Did the Bladerunners stay tight on the boot?
The Blade Runners feel custom built for this boot and definitely "stay tight". Please look at some of the pics I posted in my "preview" earlier this season here:

northeastalpinestart.com/20…
jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Thanks a lot. These seem like a great boot and an interesting way for Arc to enter the market. I wish the other companies would get into low-volume doubles for the average gumby who doesn't need 6000m+ boots.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Arcteryx Acrux AR Mountaineering Boots Review"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.