Mountain Project Logo

Skaha Questions: Weather and Camping

Original Post
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

I'm planning a trip to Skaha this spring; have not been before. Will be going for a week, sometime between late March and late May. Timing is flexible, and we can plan based on weather. So...

Weather: What is the best time to go there in the Spring? How is early April? Late April? Late March? Would prefer to not freeze and not bake either. On the cooler side is better though.

Camping: It looks like most of the camping available nearby is expensive camping resorts. This is more than we need, and we'd rather not pay $30 per night. We just sleep in the car and are happy with low-profile primitive camping. Basically just need somewhere legal and quiet to park. Is this available anywhere nearby?

If not, and if we do go for one of the fancy campgrounds, this looks like one the best (nearby; less expensive) options. Any other suggestions?

Chad Decker · · NFA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 110
weatherspark.com/averages/2…

The chances of rain in April are about 50-50, but a lot of times it will be a quick shower and the rock drys very fast at Skaha. The temps are not balmy by any means and it is pretty chilly at nights/mornings. I climbed there last April and would usually wait until around 11ish/noon to head up to the bluffs.

As for camping this campground opens on April 1st this year:
banburygreen.com/rates_and_…

They did the climbers special right up to the middle of May last year and I'm hoping they do the same this year. Its a great campground right on the lake and costs $10 per person night. I think it's worth the cost as it has hot showers and fire pits and great quiet location. If you're looking to dirtbag it though there is a place about 15-20min south of the bluffs where you can camp for free. But I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my tent there during the day. If you are interested in that place pm me and I can give you the directions to it.

For rest days or evenings this is some of the best beer in the Okanagan imo:
cannerybrewing.com

Also, there has been quite a lot of development around the Kelowna area in recent years. There is a new guidebook that just came out so if you stop in the MEC in Kelowna they will have the guidebook

cheers
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Awesome, thanks for that info. Those April temperatures sound pretty ideal. Hopefully it stays dry.

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Chad Decker wrote: banburygreen.com/rates_and_… They did the climbers special right up to the middle of May last year and I'm hoping they do the same this year. cheers
Any cheap options in July? I was with a group last time and it was pretty cheap, but this year I will be solo in July and need a good cheap option.I will be traveling by motorcycle, so the primitive camping you wrote about might not work. Thanks for the information!
Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
John Wilder wrote:It will likely be way too hot in July. Most everyone will have bailed to Squamish by then...
It was perfect last time in July. In fact Squamish was quite cold/wet for me the week after. I have also climbed Birdland in July, on a record degree day so heat is not a problem for me at all.
Chad Decker · · NFA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 110
jersey girl wrote: Any cheap options in July? I was with a group last time and it was pretty cheap, but this year I will be solo in July and need a good cheap option.I will be traveling by motorcycle, so the primitive camping you wrote about might not work. Thanks for the information!
Sorry I don't know of any cheap options in July. Unfortunately July is high season for the Okanagan so all the campgrounds increase their rates. There is also a good hi hostel in Penticton but not exactly super cheap. They may offer a discount for an extended stay?

I would agree with John that by July most climbers are in Squamish as it is normally too hot to climb in Skaha by then. But yes last summer was pretty weird weather wise...I left Squamish to head out to Skaha a couple of times later in the summer.
Rolf Rybak · · BC · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 426

Skaha in July is fine, you just need to find shady crags. Lots of new areas recently developed with shade till 1:00/2:00 PM. Link mountainproject.com/v/k-for… then you can climb in afternoon shade.

You can dirtbag camp at the top of Carmi road, just pack everything up every morning, thiefs have been known to make off with tents and camping supplies.

To the earlier question about April . Usually better weather than Squamish, rain in Skaha usually doesn't last long and typically I get out 3 to 4 Days a week in April

Always willing to show visitors around , just send me a text. Six o four eight o two 5951.
Rolf

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Skaha Questions: Weather and Camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started