Mountain Project Logo

Partner for Kansas area

Original Post
Travis Dustin · · Mexico Maine · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,665

1/20-24 I'm heading out to check the areas. I'm from New Hampshire and might end up moving here but need to see if there's anything to keep me occupied so I don't go insane.

Gypsy Albin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Where in Kansas are you gonna be? I might be up to drive to the kc area if so. Also give a shout to the Kansas city climbing club because they'll love to help out.

I'm checking out the Olathe area, but want to explore around and just see what there is for climbing and other outdoor adventures.

Young Finn the Climber · · Pueblo, Colorado · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 65

We got a few good cows to climb. But in all seriousness I'm from Eastern Kansas. Kansas city actually has some decent out door climbing spots with bouldering and sport routes. Also if you check out the area I posted a few days ago, Lawrence Kansas has one decent spot but it's man made and not quite worth the drive unless you are wanting to check out the Lawrence area anyway (it's a pretty dope college town with lots of cool stuff to do and it's own unique vibe). I'm in Southern Kansas right now but I'll be in KC/Olathe/Lawrence area for a bit around the same time if you want to meet up or if we could even get a few people together that would be dope!

Young Finn the Climber · · Pueblo, Colorado · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 65

Also here is the hidden gym of Lawrence Kansas that I was talking about posting a few days ago.

mountainproject.com/v/the-c…

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

Kansas, is an old Indian world that means flat as hell. That said there's good rock in MO, AR and OK. Why are you looking at Olath?

I got out to trappers camp yesterday with some people from the kccc and it was pretty nice.

Olathe is where my wife has a job offer so we would need to be around there

Kyle Hill · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 221

I moved to Kansas City from Utah about 2 years ago. 95% of the outdoor climbing I've done since moving has been in Arkansas (Sam's throne area mostly), which from the Kansas city metro area is about a 4-4.5 hour drive. I love the climbing down there, and often meet people from boulder or Denver who say they prefer Arkansas climbing than CO climbing.

I've also been down to Monegaw Springs a couple of times and it is actually pretty cool down there as well, and it's a bout 1.5 hour drive from KC area. Jeremy Collins just finished a pretty comprehensive guidebook for Missouri and I was surprised by how much is in there.

I think what other people have said is true, if you are willing to be a bit adventurous and climb in some obscure places, there is enough to keep you occupied here in the Kansas City area.

I'd check out monegaw:
mountainproject.com/v/wm-mo…

and if you move here, get Jeremy's guide book: mo-beta.com/

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Travis Dustin wrote:I got out to trappers camp yesterday with some people from the kccc and it was pretty nice. Olathe is where my wife has a job offer so we would need to be around there
If it's a good offer roll with it. You've got short limestone pretty close in MO. AR has some cool stuff (Sam's, magazine, HCR) with some driving. If you dip south to Tulsa OK more limestone bouldering to be had. Quality granite in the Wichitas 6hr away. You are in a fair spot for short plane rides to CO, NM, TX and AZ. All doable as road trips with a week off for vacation. Good luck! JB
Andrew Vinzant · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,449

Travis, if you ever need a partner give me a shout, I live in KC and try to climb as often as possible. Don't let people steer you from Cliff Drive you get some quality miles in there and is very close. Lots of climbing around Truman lake also for day trips.

Riley Long · · KCMO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 716

I've been exploring the Kansas side of the kc area and have found a few spots worth looking at plus central Kansas locations. We might not have the height but we do have very unique formations and variety of rock

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Partner for Kansas area "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started