Mountain Project Logo

Wave 9.3 vs Infinity 9.5

Original Post
Rob Subry · · Steamboat Springs · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Looking at getting a new all around lead rope.
Been climbing a long time , have had many ropes, currently on a Marathon Pro.
Want to get a durable thinner rope, leaning towards the Infinity, but the Wave looks good as well. Anyone have experience comparing the two?

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Wave for sure. It's my favorite rope of all time. Handles like butter, light weight but with a high sheath to dia. Ratio which makes it durable. It's also kind sticky. Hard to explain but it seems you can grab it easier than a normal rope. I've climbed a lot of towers with it and a good bit of alpine and it stays clean too. Mine is an 80m so it's not my most used rope but my favorite for sure. Next 70 will be another wave.

My partner had the 9.5 infinity that he was super stoked on...until he used my wave. The infinity starts out real nice but becomes fuzzy quickly and the middle mark fades. After less than a year it's almost indistinguishable. Still a good rope though.

Michael Schneiter · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 10,406

I've extensively used both and both are great. The Infinity has a softer handle compared to the Wave. Both have held up durability wise and seem to be fairly comparable in that realm. The black middle mark on the Infinity got hard to find pretty quick whereas my Wave is bipattern so that was less of an issue. Despite them being .2mm apart they feel super close in size and there's not a noticeable difference in weight or bulk. The dry treatment on the Infinity is pretty good if you're looking for an alpine/ice rope.

Hope that helps.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

The Bluewater Wave. I've belayed and TRed with this rope a lot. The Wave holds up to so much abuse. The Dry treatment is just good as the Mammut.

I own a Bluewater Icon. Couldn't be happier with this rope.

Thanks for your perspective boys.
I find it interesting that there are very few reviews out there on the Wave and that it is not even mentioned on any of the best rope reviews as even a good alternative.
Is it all just corporate propaganda?

Bluewater update; Spoke with Bluewater direct this morning they said they are working on bringing back the Dominator 9.4 this year to replace the Wave.
They hadn't been able to get the special thread for the sheath, but now can.
They felt the Icon 9.1 handled better than the Wave, which tended to kink a bit more.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Wave 9.3 vs Infinity 9.5"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started