Mountain Project Logo

Do you stick clip? Why or why not?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Marc801 wrote:Should have stick clipped (and his friend really needs to learn how to spot):
thats kind of funny since he was attempting to spot, hands off spotting I guess youd call it
Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

Oh shit, I bet that left a mark. Thanks for the laugh, just shot coffee out my nose!

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
T Roper wrote: thats kind of funny since he was attempting to spot, hands off spotting I guess youd call it
Hey there T Roper!
Is that anywhere you recognize ?
It looks like Connecticut 'Trapp Rock'.
Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

What are bolts?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Michael Schneider wrote: Hey there T Roper! Is that anywhere you recognize ? It looks like Connecticut 'Trapp Rock'.
It does and I thought the same but I know of nothing w/bolts or otherwise that looks like that. some of that amazing SE sandstone has that chossy look too. That whole block looks like it will go some day.
T Roper wrote: It does and I thought the same but I know of nothing w/bolts or otherwise that looks like that. some of that amazing SE sandstone has that chossy look too. That whole block looks like it will go some day.
I thought exactly the same thing.
I've climbed a bit by Waterbury ; Orenaug Park
It seemed like there were similar corners but they all touched the ground .
That thing looks to un-stable to survive the repetitive freeze thaw cycles of the north east.
Anyone know where that block is?
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70
Michael Schneider wrote: I thought exactly the same thing. I've climbed a bit by Waterbury ; Orenaug Park It seemed like there were similar corners but they all touched the ground . That thing looks to un-stable to survive the repetitive freeze thaw cycles of the north east. Anyone know where that block is?
It's a 5.10b at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in NW Arkansas. The first move is the hardest move. My group used a crash pad for the start.
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air wrote: It's a 5.10b at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in NW Arkansas. The first move is the hardest move. My group used a crash pad for the start.
thnx, Fresh, I looked at what's listed here, for 5.10b's . . do you know the name of the climb?

it looks like it is
Zekes-dodge-dance

Jason Horton wrote:This climb is all about the start. The crux is getting from the roof to the face and can be quite reachy (though there's some small crimps if you can't reach the nice cut). Once on the face, it's not too interesting, but the start is AWESOME! Definitely run out to the first bolt. We traversed from 'Groovy' to pre-clip the first bolt.
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 70
Michael Schneider wrote: it looks like it is Zekes-dodge-dance
Yes, I believe you are correct.
T Howes · · Bend, OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

This is quite the prolific thread. I haven't read through it in it's entirety, but I'll comment anyway. If I'm going sport climbing I will bring my giant stick clip. I absolutely use it if I determine that the effort to stick clip the first bolt is less than the effort to climb to the first bolt. I don't really care enough about the ethics of sport climbing to pass on clipping the first bolt(or second bolt if I can reach it). Ultimately, if I break my ankle climbing I can't work. If I can't work the quality of my life will suffer and I will be really bummed. My wife would probably hold it over me for ever and all of my future climbing trips would be compromised. As to the OP, clipping bolts robs you of the "full" experience.

dino74 · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 70

I posted earlier about using the Swiffer poles but I realized its better than just the poles!

Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247
dino74 wrote:I posted earlier about using the Swiffer poles but I realized its better than just the poles!
Man let me tell yah, you the man... Your wife will be pissed...lol
Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
dino74 wrote:I posted earlier about using the Swiffer poles but I realized its better than just the poles!
Absolute genius!
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

"Every man must make his own choices, and every man must climb his own mountain."
- Herman Buhl
- John Long

- Aleks Zebastian

Trycycle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 699

I'll stop stick-clipping when I can afford decent healthcare...HA!

dino74 · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 70
Walter Galli wrote: Your wife will be pissed...
Lol. Maybe a crag babe will be impressed by my swiffer stick and marry me.
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Trycycle wrote:I'll stop stick-clipping when I can afford decent healthcare...HA!
climbing friend,

that would be happening soon with your new glorious leader the orange one reigning in systematic abusive corrupt profiteering on the peoples' healthcare problems and unbelievable skyrocketing medical provider price gouging and health insurance premiums. NOT!!! ho ho ho ha ha ha, ho ho, ha ha, MYAH!

your country it is so corrupt, so corrupt. unless you are large corporation writing the laws and buying politicians and profiting by standing on the necks of the regular peoples, you are, how you say, "f*cked?"
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247
dino74 wrote: Lol. Maybe a crag babe will be impressed by my swiffer stick and marry me.
Ohhh yes that is for sure... You still a free climber then...
don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
Aaron Miller wrote:Lets just be clear, the word "onsight" was not coined with the intention of the first 25' and 4 bolts pre-clipped with a rope so that the hard moves off the ground are essentially being toproped. I have used stick clips myself, I am not judging, especially because the new wave of climbing seems to be demanding it. But let's also agree we need to call it something else.
Lol. The logical fallacy is strong with this one.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Sport Climbing
Post a Reply to "Do you stick clip? Why or why not?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started