Mountain Project Logo

Where to take the kids climbing

Original Post
AmyR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for places to take young kids (3 & 6) climbing. We've climbed a few places in Boulder Canyon, but ideally would like to find someplace with a safer base area (fewer cliffs to fall off when not climbing), away from roads & swift rivers, and with some easier single pitch routes for them to play around on. We live near Boulder, but are willing to travel further for a nice weekend camping/climbing trip. Thanks!

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

Unfortunately such a location is primarily found in the local gyms. The topography of the Front Range is not conducive to taking young children climbing.

Laramide Erogenous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 235

I've had some fun times with the five year old on supremacy rock in eldo.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Elevenmile Canyon has some family friendly camping and climbing. Easy trails, short approaches and flat spacious areas at the belay.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

Canal Zone at Clear Creek. Unfortunately, it's also one of the busiest areas in CCC.

Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,197

Penitene and Rifle are your two best options.

Russ Morgenstern · · Loveland,Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

There is a guide book called fun climbs Colorado by Sibylle Hechtel has lots of kid friendly places in it.

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

Try Staunton state park, the hike is easy. no rivers no roads. We usually take our daughter there. Shes's now 16 months and we haven't had an issue.

D Condit · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 95

I'd recommend Valley of the Chickens. It's just a little over an hour from Boulder, you can camp right near the cliff, and it's great for k. I took my kids there many times over the years, and it's my preferred location when friends visit and want to try climbing for the first time.

David Ponak · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 10

During the summer Lily Mountain mountainproject.com/v/lily-… is good - mellow approach hike, plenty of safe area around the climbs, and the routes are short.

Mike Carrington · · Centenntial · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 2,776

Castlewood Canyon, Devils Head, Shelf road and North Table mountain are all great places. I've taken my daughter all these places and just about every other place I've gone.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

It's a far drive but Penitente Canyon in the San Luis Valley is awesome for kids.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/mr-breeze/105753415

My boy's first lead at age 4!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Mike Carrington wrote:Castlewood Canyon, Devils Head, Shelf road and North Table mountain are all great places. I've taken my daughter all these places and just about every other place I've gone.
Watch out for rattlesnakes at Castlewood!

That being said, we took our preschoolers there a couple of times in the early spring.
AmyR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

Thank you for all the suggestions!

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
Kevin Stricker wrote:Penitene and Rifle are your two best options.
??? If your 3 and 6 year olds can pull down on 5.11! Rifle has nothing your kids could climb, penitente has a few very easy climbs that are slabs.
R G · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 451

Red Rock Canyon

Christopher Kelly · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 443

East Colfax in Clear Creek Canyon is a great place I have taken my kids plenty of times. Other than having a river nearby, it meets the rest of your criteria. If the river is a deal breaker, probably not the best spot but other than that, it's perfect for what you're looking for.

mountainproject.com/v/east-…

Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,197
jleining wrote: ??? If your 3 and 6 year olds can pull down on 5.11! Rifle has nothing your kids could climb, penitente has a few very easy climbs that are slabs.
There are 5.6-5.9 climbs in Rifle. My 9 year old has been climbing there sense he was 4. Most kids really don't give a crap about sending they just want to have fun. Rifle has always been one of their favorite places to go, and most of the crags are super kid friendly.
jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
Kevin Stricker wrote: There are 5.6-5.9 climbs in Rifle. My 9 year old has been climbing there sense he was 4. Most kids really don't give a crap about sending they just want to have fun. Rifle has always been one of their favorite places to go, and most of the crags are super kid friendly.
Interesting, I have not been to Rifle for rock for about 8 years. these must be new routes. When I was last there the easiest climb was Spuds in Space at 5.8. and I believe there were two 5.9s and a handful of 5.10's.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Where to take the kids climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started