Mountain Project Logo

building a trad rack for colorado

Original Post
Michael Griffith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

hi, I am new to the area and am looking to build a basic trad rack for this area. I already have BD C4's 0.5-3, ddm wallnuts 1-11, a few tricams. I don't have any micros, are there any other recommendations of cams and should I invest in micros and more tricams? I am in the Springs area but will be climbing at shelf rd, ft Collins, boulder, rocky mountain, and any other suggestions anyone has. I lead 5.10 in sport to try to stick to that range. Thanks

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

You have everything you need to get started. Climb a bunch of 6s, 7s and 8s and by the time you climb 5.10 Trad you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Not that much trad at Shelf, look up Turkey Rock and a lot of South Platte instead for closer-to-home stuff.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

You have a world of trad climbing just west of the Springs. I find I don't often use micros in the platte. Id invest in doubles of your .5-3. There are a lot of routes that will take a 4, 5.

Best of luck.

Travis Provin · · Boulder CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 105

I wouldn't say micro cams are a necessity but they're nice to have. Totem basic's are awesome if you can get your hands on some.

As others have said, if you are near Colorado Springs the South Platte area will be your best bet for trad.

Evan C · · Chatty Fatty · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 218

My rack is a little overkill, but I have a set of BD nuts, a set of hexes, c4's from .3 - 6, doubles from .5 - 3, and a select few tricams...However, I generally only rack up what I think I need for a given climb / climbing area, could easily get by with a much smaller rack as long as you're a little discerning when you're sizing up a route.

I don't have any micro-cams, haven't really felt the need yet, but I've only climbed 9+ ish trad so far..

Doubling up on hand and larger finger sized cams would probably be a good idea, as well as larger cams or big bros if you want to do any wider stuff...

Turkey Rocks, Sheep Nose, and Elevenmile Canyon all have excellent (and easy to find) moderate trad climbing close to the Springs. Also, Thunder Ridge has lots of awesome trad and mixed routes up there. Perhaps a wee bit harder to find though.

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

The first things I would add to your rack are the .3 and .4 BD C4's, I love those pieces and use them all the time. Next I would compliment your stoppers with some DMM offset stoppers. I assume you already have a good mix of draws and runners.

paul northup · · Somerville, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 55

Looks like you've got enough to get going for sure. When you read the info in the guidebooks or on MP, you can pick up individual pieces to flesh out your rack as you need them. It's better to buy as you need them than to try to cover all your bases out front, that's how I filled out my micro cams and my wide gear (for Vedauwoo, head up there if you get the chance!).

Have fun and climb a lot, there's a ton of good stuff out there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "building a trad rack for colorado"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started