Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia boycotts Outdoor Retailer show in support of Bears Ears...

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
John Barritt wrote:How are we going to do that?
Well we move from an oil based to hydrogen based systems. We are already in the process of that although energy companies are doing a great job at blocking progress away from oil.

As for mining I'm not a miner or engineer so I can't presume to know what technology is in development in that industry but in 10 gens time you're telling me humans cant figure out a better way to extract resources without obliterating the environment?
jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Morgan Patterson wrote: Well we move from an oil based to hydrogen based systems. We are already in the process of that although energy companies are doing a great job at blocking progress away from oil.
Ah right. So you have energy solved. What about the other 6000 products we need petroleum for?
jason.cre wrote: Ah right. So you have energy solved. What about the other 6000 products we need petroleum for?
Quick let me look into my crystal ball... lol. Sure there might be some use, but maybe the source is old plastic not new oil wells. You guys are funny although somewhat pessimistic about humans ability progress.
John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Morgan Patterson wrote: Well we move from an oil based to hydrogen based systems. We are already in the process of that although energy companies are doing a great job at blocking progress away from oil. As for mining I'm not a miner or engineer so I can't presume to know what technology is in development in that industry but in 10 gens time you're telling me humans cant figure out a better way to extract resources without obliterating the environment?
So it's pure supposition that we'll be able to magically suck metals and coal from the ground in 250 years. I'm still waiting for my flying car.....BTW.

The world population will have gone from 7 billion to around 11 billion by then. The demand for EVERYTHING will have increased by 60%.

Nitrogen? Really?
John Barritt wrote:So it's pure supposition that we'll be able to magically suck metals and coal from the ground in 250 years. I'm still waiting for my flying car.....BTW. The world population will have gone from 7 billion to around 11 billion by then. The demand for EVERYTHING will have increased by 60%. Nitrogen? Really?
Not no magically John, with technological advancements. And yes I do think they'll get there in 10 generations of humans, that's what 200 years?

Your sarcastic comment about a flying car just goes to show how wrong your position is... why do you need a fly car when you can use the hoverboard?

youtube.com/watch?v=WQzLrvz…

Or why use the hoverboard when you can use the motorcycle?

youtube.com/watch?v=eYsDcoS…

Or how about flying JETPACKS??

youtube.com/watch?v=AzGkb1M…

Point being there ARE flying cars and progress is a real thing. Your position is idiotic. In 200+ years there's no reason for people to expect there's no option other than to destroy the environment to get the resources we need to live and survive. We could be mining asteroids in space given the current trajectory of our space programs or finding new ways to explore/mine underground without destroying the surface.

And btw why the fuck would we need coal 200 years from now???
John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Morgan Patterson wrote: btw why the fuck would we need coal 200 years from now???
No need to cuss Admin. As for idiotic positions, we don't have flying cars, and never will. We will never be able to mine in space even if we can develop "star trek" type speed. The distances are too great, AND the problems of being able to get mined materials back down to the planet SAFELY in any quantity is impossible. If you could though, increasing the mass of the planet by bringing extraterrestrial materials back would eventually change the earths gravity and orbit. As for using coal in 200 years, if the US goes entirely hydro-electric, solar or wind for our power by then China and the rest of the world will still be using fossil fuels.

I'm a realist, not an idiot. JB
John Barritt wrote:No need to cuss Admin. As for idiotic positions, we don't have flying cars, and never will. We will never be able to mine in space even if we can develop "star trek" type speed. The distances are too great, AND the problems of being able to get mined materials back down to the planet SAFELY in any quantity is impossible. If you could though, increasing the mass of the planet by bringing extraterrestrial materials back would eventually change the earths gravity and orbit. As for using coal in 200 years, if the US goes entirely hydro-electric, solar or wind for our power by then China and the rest of the world will still be using fossil fuels. I'm a realist, not an idiot. JB
For clarification I'm not calling you an idiot, just your position... like that we'd need coal in 250 years. Or that as you just asserted, other countries wont evolve/progress in 250 years.

I get it you're pessimistic about the whole thing...

But look where we've come since 1767.. from horse and buggies to flying hoverboard, cars, and motorcycles and all the worlds knowledge in a pocket-sized computer you carry around with you.
craggy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

I don't know who on this thread responded to my plea for letters but it appears that we have been heard and action has resulted in part owing to the mass boycott of and media coverage given to that boycott of the Outdoor Retailer show. Thanks Patagonia for leading the way.

outdoorindustry.org/article…

Joseph Dul wrote: more powerful than the computers that sent multiple people to the freakin moon
I do believe so...

And on topic... yes its great to see the industry taking action after Patagonia's first step. Cheers to Yvon.
Bat Masterson · · Red Rock, AZ · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 47

Show now leaving Utah altogether....

sltrib.com/home/4952414-155…

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
rging wrote:Western society makes me laugh. People screaming to lock up millions upon millions of acres while using more resources than anyone on the planet in the history of humans. 99% of everything you own and work with comes from mining, drilling, and forestry. Same with all the power you use.
That's an incredibly simplistic take. Do you realize that many of us exist in between the extremes your post suggests?
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3
BatMasterson wrote:Show now leaving Utah altogether.... sltrib.com/home/4952414-155…
Thank you for posting that!
jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
BatMasterson wrote:Show now leaving Utah altogether.... sltrib.com/home/4952414-155…
Good. Based on the govs response sounds like the state has fully embraced alternative facts.
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
I'm sad to hear that the asshat Utah calls a governor has decided not to work with the outdoor industry. Unfortunately, I suspect it will not only be their loss, but our loss too. For the state of public lands in Utah, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. When is the next election? Perhaps if we can get hunters and fishers on board with us, we can vote another person into office.

Well - interestingly, the outdoor industry coalesced around the Bears Ears and the Grand Staircase Escalante NM issues in UT. Apparently Governor Herbert does not fully grasp our overwhelming financial contribution to his economy. I therefore believe a full boycott of Utah's outdoor resources should occur in this season. Climbers, mountain bikers, paddlers, hunters, hikers, guide companies, anglers should all take their money to CO NM,AZ,NV,CA this season. Write letters to the Governor and let him know you intend to recreate elsewhere and spend your money at out of state gear stores. It seems unfair to the merchants and guide companies but they will all be out of business if we let our public lands be controlled by oil, gas and mineral extractors. Many of you are probably equally aware of the bill passed in the house to disallow public comment on BLM land use/management. Even my conservative friends are having a problem with that one.

H.J. Res 44 basically does this "The House’s Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution, which passed 234–186, will force BLM to revert to its 1983 planning process, which does not include comments from the public until late in the process. And despite the clear demand for improvements, under the CRA, the agency will not be allowed to update its land use planning process without congressional approval."

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

I live in one of the most conservative counties in UT and in the middle of the Grand Staircase. My take is the the world we live in turns on 5 issues. Power, Money, Kids, Love, and Religion (not necessarily in that order). In this state it seems that Religion will "trump" the other four most of the time and the religion culture here promotes falling in line with your leaders as well as stifling decent. If the church led state wants control of that corner of UT (presumably to control the resources), then who are "we gentiles" (at least for the most part), to buck the established system? It would seem that only a really big loss of Money and a threat to Power would/could raise eyebrows at the capital. Trouble is, Power will not be threatened by the vote when the majority of the populous will be falling in line with their leaders. So we must do what we can, when we can, and compromise where we can. We certainly are not going to out reproduce the Mormons (thus gaining the Power of the majority vote) in their current culture.

craggy wrote:The House’s Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution
I was reading up on this Act and its a REALLY scary bit of legislation... I think most of the damage will be done using this and once it's done it cant be undone easily if at all.

Agree! Action will need to be monitored closely. Interested parties can sign up to receive updates by email at congress.gov. Before debate ensues, it will be best if everyone can write their Congressman to ask that it be stopped. Failing that, the next action will be in the Senate. Thanks for reading the bill's text. Please pass the info along through all social media you utilize.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
John Barritt wrote:No need to cuss Admin. As for idiotic positions, we don't have flying cars, and never will. We will never be able to mine in space even if we can develop "star trek" type speed. The distances are too great, AND the problems of being able to get mined materials back down to the planet SAFELY in any quantity is impossible. If you could though, increasing the mass of the planet by bringing extraterrestrial materials back would eventually change the earths gravity and orbit. As for using coal in 200 years, if the US goes entirely hydro-electric, solar or wind for our power by then China and the rest of the world will still be using fossil fuels. I'm a realist, not an idiot. JB
Ok, let me put this plain and simple.

1) we will have flying cars but they will most likely be in the form of drones

2) we will be mining space and it will be done by robots and we will and can bring materials down to earth just like we do astronauts and space shuttles and if you honestly believe we will bring enough material to earth to change its gravity you don't have the slightest idea of the materials we are looking for in space

3) If the US goes fossil free everyone else will too
Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,376

Thanks to all of you who are defending Bears Ears and the decision to move the OR show. Reading through this entire thread, it is disheartening to see just how much cynicism is out there.

I have a number of friends who are climbers and also Trump supporters. I have no problem calling them hypocrites, and I do think that each and every person who voted Trump is absolutely deplorable...Love you!

One thing I see in my debates with them and also here, is how quickly conservatives put ideology before reason. Scary times indeed.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Patagonia boycotts Outdoor Retailer show in sup…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started