Mountain Project Logo

Seneca Rocks Winter Camping

Original Post
Caleb Johnson · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I am headed to Seneca Rocks this weekend, and having trouble finding information about camping options this time of year. Seneca Shadows is closed according to the website. I would just sleep in the car, but it would be great to have a fire one night at least.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

Without drawing attention to myself, I have slept in the car in the climbers lot before, but I am not sure if that is allowed or not (I know actual camping there is not). Rangers patrol Roy Gap Road looking for cars parked in the few pullouts.

I once drove well up the Dolly Sods access road and spent the night up there. Probably, you could make a fire in an established site there. I needed 4wd the time I went.

You might also be able to disperse camp off the road system up Spruce Knob, but I am not sure and have never checked it out.

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

Yokum's Campground is open during the winter. It's $8 a night (pay at the store) and the camping is right along the stream across from the store. They have fire pits there for fires as well. Good option that's really convenient, though car noise is pretty loud since you're right next to the road.
yokum.com/campgrounds/princ…

Mark Verosky · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 46

You can head up the road to Spruce Knob if you wanted to. Only backcountry sites but it is beautiful there. Spent the summer there and that would be your closest option aside from sleeping in your car. Also an RV camping area down the street but not sure if they are open this time of the year.

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

the princess snowbird {yokums} is right there , as mentioned only 8.00 per tent, if you have never been there just go all the way into the back and camp right near the bathhouse, its actually somewhat decent for what it is, they even put alittle heater in the bathouse to keep it warm in the winter. it also has flushing toilets not vualts.

there are also spots to have a fire, road noise is not to bad in the back corner, but camping over near the stream would be noisy.

Nathan Stegenga · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 218

If you take HWY 33 west out of Seneca Rocks towards Harman, you'll hit White's Run Road on the left in about 5 miles. If you head up White's Run Road for a little bit, you'll start spotting little pullouts that have camp spots attached. It's all NF land, and when we were up there we didn't run into any trouble camping out there for a couple of nights - even with a fire!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Seneca Rocks Winter Camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started