Mountain Project Logo

Where to find cheap dynamic rope?

Original Post
James Cachelin · · Alameda, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all!

I'm a relatively new climber looking to make the switch outside. My biggest road block is the cost of a rope. Anyone know of some decent ropes for a low price?

Thanks in advance!

James

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,012

Ebay...Bluewater Wave 9.3mm 70m...$139.99
No need to spend a fortune on your cord.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70

Rope always seems expensive in the USA
This is a high st. retailer in the UK (no use to you, but just to point out the difference):

gooutdoors.co.uk/beal-karma…

Brock B. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 211
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Sierra Trading Post.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Hop on over to the "climbing" section of steepandcheap. That's where I got my last pair of doubles and I'm often surprised at how reasonable their rope prices are.

CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

Use active junky when ordering online... trust me almost all retailers I order on are there it's free and who doesn't like a check every 3 months to get gear for free when all you did was buy what u needed in the first place and +1 to Sierra trading post and +2 to back country for customer service
Activejunky.com

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Check the sales. Here is a good resource to see what is out there:
blog.weighmyrack.com/all-th…

Jordan Wisch · · St. Louis, MO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Backcountry has some decent prices. I just got a Mammut Eternity (9.8mm) 60m rope with rope bag for $127

Edit: I agree the Active Junky mention. Backcountry's was 8% back when I bought it.

Andrew Jackson · · Greensboro, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Gearexpress.com and ebay.com.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

So...what is your definition of ";cheap";? Ropes generally aren't cheap, nor should they be - they're literally keeping you alive. Would you really want to trust your life in a $20 rope? Obviously, if given the choice between quality ropes, you'll want to go with the best price, but I wouldn't go jump on amazon or ebay and buy the cheapest rope you can find.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

apparently wal-mart

Too soon, man. :(

Tom Powell · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

It's relatively easy to find good ropes in the close to $100 price point. Gearexpress is a good source. I've bought quite a bit of gear from them.

gearexpress.com/climbing/ro…

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Ted Pinson wrote:So...what is your definition of ";cheap";? Ropes generally aren't cheap, nor should they be - they're literally keeping you alive. Would you really want to trust your life in a $20 rope? Obviously, if given the choice between quality ropes, you'll want to go with the best price, but I wouldn't go jump on amazon or ebay and buy the cheapest rope you can find.
I don't see any indication that the OP is looking to buy anything other than a proper UIAA certified climbing rope. Certainly no one is steering him to a $20 rope. You're all stirred up about something, but it's not what's been said in this thread.
Gunkiemike wrote: I don't see any indication that the OP is looking to buy anything other than a proper UIAA certified climbing rope. Certainly no one is steering him to a $20 rope. You're all stirred up about something, but it's not what's been said in this thread.
Well, the thread title, for starters. It's just concerning for someone buying their first rope going for the lowest price possible. The $20 was a hyperbolic example, but people have shown up to crags with Home Depot ropes before, and there was a thread where multiple people had to work to dissuade someone from doing this. You're also assuming that the OP knows about UIAA certification. Just trying to make the point that price should not be the sole deciding factor.
sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60
Gunkiemike wrote: I don't see any indication that the OP is looking to buy anything other than a proper UIAA certified climbing rope. Certainly no one is steering him to a $20 rope.
hahah true!

Maybe OP is fishing for someone to sell him a used rope. If I lived in Cali I'd sell him mine, although it's not a great idea to buy used ropes.
Nik de Jong · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 55

Walmart just bought moosejaw so wait a few months.....

David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

+1 for eBay. Bought a brand new blue water lightning pro direct from the manufacture. All it had was some mild discoloring so they couldn't sell it at retail.

James Cachelin · · Alameda, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys! This is awesome and totally helpful. To solve this home depot rope discussion, I definitely don't want a cheap in quality rope. I was going to REI and seeing the 300+ ropes and kindve just assumed that was the standard, I am okay with the 100-150 range. I wasn't necessarily fishing but I wouldn't be mad if some one did offer

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Where to find cheap dynamic rope?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started