Mountain Project Logo

Moores Wall/Pilot Winter Camping

Original Post
RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

Anyone familiar with campgrounds that are open this time of year? The places I've stayed at before (Pilot, Jameokee) are closed for the winter. Are there any dirtbag/car sleeping friendly areas nearby?

Jordan Gay · · North Carolina · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 38

The Hanging Rock campground is open year round. We stayed there the night before last and it was $13. The bathhouse is closed during the winter, but there is a pit toilet. There is also firewood available just outside the gate towards Danbury, look for an old tobacco barn on the left with bundles of wood stacked around it.

Austin Goff · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 118

CCC website has information regarding camping at Camp Hanes. I believe it is free. There are platforms and tables. Just a 10 min drive down the road from Moores and a little more to pilot.

Andrew Jackson · · Greensboro, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Camp Hanes also owns Sauratown mountain which is open to climbing,per a ccc lease, until march 31st. You can download free guides for Sauratown and Pilot at the ccc website as well.

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

Awesome, thanks for the beta! I might have to check out Sauratown while it's open, I've heard good things. I should have known to check the CCC website, they are always on top of it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Moores Wall/Pilot Winter Camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started