Mountain Project Logo

Summer climbing in WV/NRG?

Original Post
Eric H. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Hi folks, I am planning a family get-together in August 2017 and considering the New River Gorge/Summersville Lake area. Though the main point of the trip will be family time, I thought I might also get some climbing in.

Is it typically just too hot and humid to climb in WV in August? I'm originally from Pittsburgh but only started climbing since moving to California. I've never climbed east of Colorado.

Thanks for any input!

Tim Fry · · Charlotte NC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 15

It's hot and humid, but all of us southerners still do it. It's not bad. There's plenty of tree shade around the New, and a few crags with swimming right there. Go for it. You'll have a good time.

Cool, thanks for the response!

If you have any insider tips on where might be the best place to look for renting a cabin (for a multigenerational family -- my bro and sis with their kids plus my 70+ year old parents), then I'd be really grateful to hear them. (The MP page has a lot of good info already, but it never hurts to ask!)

Chris Whisenhunt · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 995

Check out the area page.

mountainproject.com/v/the-n…

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Climbing in the summer is more than possible at the new, you just have to be smart about it. Some classic areas (Endless wall) are largely an uncomfortable Summer spot due to aspect and lack of tree cover, and yes, humidity may keep you off of some of the thin technical climbs.

Fortunately, the Meadow river crags are often shaded and have generally larger holds that hold up better in humid conditions. Ditto for Summersville. Lots of the primarily traditional areas like Bridge are also nice in the summer.

Long story short, August is just fine.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

I second the Summersville Lake/Meadow River idea. I've planned a couple group trips to the area, cabins are plentiful. They have lots of options, last time I checked there were even some 12 room mansion cabins. Get the NRG guide, volume 2.

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Be prepared to sweat. I'm from Tennessee, been in southern ca for almost 9 years now the moderate dry climate has turned me into a baby. I'm fine with cold but every time I go back home in the summer it's so damn hot. I used to climb no matter what but I can vividly remember sweat running down my arms to create a nice plaster in my freshly chalked hands.
That area is beautiful though and you'll have a sufficient supply of fried food. Great climbing on solid sandstone just have to adjust to the humidity.

Thanks for the tips Brian, Matt, and Daniel.

Matt, did you stay at any particular cabins that you would recommend? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Sorry, I don't remember exactly where we stayed. I did have a lot of luck with VRBO, they had good prices when I was looking.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Summer climbing in WV/NRG?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started