Mountain Project Logo

Central Oregon in March

Original Post
G-Raw · · making my way to the sticks · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 107

Hey all. I'm heading to Bend area at the end of March. Wondering what conditions are typically like for Smith and Trout around that time...and some of the bouldering as well along Deschutes. Thanks for any input and advice. I also would be stoked to find a partner to climb with so I don't have to belay slave my lady.

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683

Trout = CLOSED for Golden Eagle nesting. Come back in the fall. As a consolation prize, Smith Rock's Lower Gorge has an amazing collection of 5.10-5.12 classics on basalt columns. Not splitter like Trout but the LG's east and west sides offer all day sun or shade options.

Smith should be great in late March. The sunny walls in the main area will still be very climbable, but you will probably want shade for harder climbing by that time of year. I have found the slabby/vertical thin climbing to be pretty temperature dependent.

Weekends will be packed; come early for parking.

If you plan to visit for more than a few days, definitely pick up Alan Watts' guidebook.

Try me when you're headed out-I am happy to trade belays!

Thanks for the info. I figured about the weekend crowds. Going to try and make Smith happen thurs/Fri to keep away from the crowds then use sat/sun and maybe explore the boulders in Bend or something unless anyone has other areas the recommend...

ChewiePDX · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 283
dinosore wrote:Thanks for the info. I figured about the weekend crowds. Going to try and make Smith happen thurs/Fri to keep away from the crowds then use sat/sun and maybe explore the boulders in Bend or something unless anyone has other areas the recommend...
In my experience, if you head towards the marsupials or lower gorge, you can still find some solitude on a busy weekend.
Slim Chuffer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

My girlfriend and I are looking to visit Smith for a bit in April. I have a well behaved dog that will sleep at the bottom of the crag. If we're just doing one pitch sport climbs what's the deal? Can I just anchor her on a short leash close to us?

Zac I've heard that unless someone is actively watching the dog they will site you. An ancored dog under voice command from your belayer is still a siteable offense per what I've been told.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Central Oregon in March"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started