Mountain Project Logo

5.10 team fit

Original Post
David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

I got a great deal on a pair of 5.10 team shoes about a year ago. They were my first pair of down turned shoes so fitting was a bit of a guessing game. They are a size 10 which is the same size I use for my 5.10 mountain bike shoes. I climbed 5 single pitch routes in them and loved the performance but they nearly bring me to tears with how painful they are. So I threw them in my closet for the past 11 months.

I still think the size is right but my heel doesn't fit all the way down into the shoe. Even if I force it down my feel just slips forward and out from the tention on the rands. This shoves my toes into the toe box and hurts my big toe when weighted. I'm just wondering if anyone has cut the slingshot rand in these shoes or modified them to help the heel fit better?

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

Put them on and push in on the heel of the shoe. Do you have dead space *under* your heel or at the back of your heel near the base?

If there is mostly dead space under your heel it typically means the shoe is too small, I doubt this is your case.

If it's dead space at the back of your heel they are either too large or simply don't fit your foot well.

There is about 1/2 of dead space at the back of the heel. The rand that wraps around the back (around achilles tendon) is to tight and won't let my heel sink in.

I agree the shoe just doesn't fit my heel well. But I love the toe box and the confident feel they have edging. I'm thinking if I cut the rand the right way it will let my heel fit and take pressure off my big toe. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experimented with this like they have on other shoes.

The other option is just to try and sell them.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

It might sound odd, but that's actually just a shoe with a lot of heel tension that is too large. When they are too small your heel will not full sink vertically. You would need to go to a shop and try the same model in a range of sizes from sock fit to "I need a plastic bag on my foot to slide these on" to verify.

Thanks for the replies! I did try the 9 and 9.5 but they were way to painful for my toes. They didn't have the next size up but like you I don't think I need a larger size. I can actually fit these shoes on with a thin pair of socks. I figured it might stretch them out a little to help the fit when barefoot but it cushioned my big toe which helped with the pain. I might just stick with shoes that don't have such an aggressive shape.

AaronP · · colorado springs co · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 55

I pretty much had the same experience as you.

Team VXIs fit super weird and small.

I'm a 42/TC pros, 8.5/mocs for all day comfort

40.5 la sportiva corba for Bouldering

I got 5.10 VXIs in 8, toes smashed against in the box
super painful with my heel not all the way in. Sold them.

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

I am a:

Size 9 Nikes
40.5 TC Pros
9 Shamans
10 black Teams- Originally bought the 9 and couldn't even stand in them.

Damn, glad to know I'm not the only one having issues.

About 30 minutes ago I decided to try and modify them since I don't have any need to sell them. Sliced the rand vertically along both sides of the heel. Made two more slices further forward and started feeling some relief when walking in them. Edging was still stupid painful so I tried making some relief cuts above the knuckle of my toes. Even sliced down to fabric it didn't have any real effect. I kept the right shoe intact and there is hardly any noticeable difference between the two.

I think I'm going to try a pair of Moccasyms. I've been using La Sportiva shoes (tarantulace and miura) but I'm not to satisfied with the rubber. The stealth rubber on the 5.10s felt amazing for the little bit of climbing I've done with them.

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

Keep in mind you can put any rubber on any shoe. I wouldn't pick a shoe based on rubber. Get the best fit, favorite shape and stiffness, then add whatever rubber you want. I put C4 on my Katana Laces, killer combo. I'll probably put it on my Testarossas too when I'm ready for a resole.

Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20
Fajita Dave wrote: they nearly bring me to tears with how painful they are. So I threw them in my closet for the past 11 months. I still think the size is right but my heel doesn't fit all the way down into the shoe. Even if I force it down my feel just slips forward and out from the tention on the rands. This shoves my toes into the toe box and hurts my big toe when weighted.
I think if you size down like 2 or 3 more sizes your foot will stop hurting. Its probably just way to big.
dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 220
Fajita Dave wrote:I got a great deal on a pair of 5.10 team shoes about a year ago. They were my first pair of down turned shoes so fitting was a bit of a guessing game. They are a size 10 which is the same size I use for my 5.10 mountain bike shoes. I climbed 5 single pitch routes in them and loved the performance but they nearly bring me to tears with how painful they are. So I threw them in my closet for the past 11 months. I still think the size is right but my heel doesn't fit all the way down into the shoe. Even if I force it down my feel just slips forward and out from the tention on the rands. This shoves my toes into the toe box and hurts my big toe when weighted. I'm just wondering if anyone has cut the slingshot rand in these shoes or modified them to help the heel fit better?
I cut/ground the heel rand off my TC Pro's.

I tried to make them work for months. Showered in them, ran in them while they were wet, shoved red bull cans and golf balls in them for weeks straight to try and stretch the rand out, but nothing worked. So I finally cut the sons a bitches off with a blade and a dremel tool.

This is not a bouldering show however, its an all day climbing shoe. My heels are just not shaped to fit those shoes. I probably will buy some evolve astromans next and see if they fit my foot better... they have a far less aggressive heel rand.

I never really noticed a huge performance change after cutting the rands off, the shoes still climb well enough for me. But I am relatively new to climbing.. so take it for what its worth.

dh
Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

I've noticed that my teams stretched about a 1/4 US size in a month, but are mainly looser because the fabric stretched upward, not lengthwise.

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

Trying to get a pair of teams. my only references are the hiangles, which I wear in 9.5. Trying to boulder more.

Moccs: 8.5
Anasazi vcs: 9.5
Anasazi Lace: 9.5
Rogues: 9
Stonelands: 10.5
BD Aspect: 10
Hiangles: 9.5

*I don't have a way to try these on beforehand

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "5.10 team fit"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started