Mountain Project Logo

Access to Plotinus Wall in Lower Drem Canyon

Original Post
Swavek Gaik · · Superior, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 0

What is current access to this crag? Access from the top OK? Or is there a legal way to get it from Boulder Canyon?

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

As far as I know access from boulder Canyon is still closed, I've heard rumors of $200 tickets but have not talked to anyone who has actually gotten one. There is access from the Upper Dream Canyon parking area but it is a long bushwack. If anyone has an update on the trail work I'd love to hear it.

Will Vandenbergh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I can't imagine anyone will stop you from just hopping the fence from the falls parking lot, its a sign, not a cop. I think its mostly there so that nobody can sue anyone if they get hurt.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Access is illegal. You can get a ticket, and it has happened recently. That said, people are clearly still going, but keep in mind that doing so may land you a ticket with the added bonus of potentially pissing of the powers that be who the community need to work with to get access eventually opened.

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

I've bushwhacked to Plotinus from the Bowling Alley area.

There are dirt roads on the ridge above and behind Bowling Alley and to the west of Plotinus. Does anyone know how those are accessed?

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Well, it's been more than three years since this trail was closed. Does anyone have any updates? Why is this taking so long? I'm really just curious. On any given weekend day there are dozens of tourists climbing around the gate. So clearly safety is not their priority. And since it is such a popular tourist spot, he would think it would be a little more of a priority. This trail is not just for climber.

Any info would be great.

michalm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 754

Boulder has done nothing to reopen access to Lower Dream Canyon, nor have I heard of any real plans to do so. Hikers and tourists continually pass around the gate, as do climbers. This leads me to conclude that access is officially closed, but unofficially open.

michalm wrote:Boulder has done nothing to reopen access to Lower Dream Canyon, nor have I heard of any real plans to do so. Hikers and tourists continually pass around the gate, as do climbers. This leads me to conclude that access is officially closed, but unofficially open.
That's not really true. Its also not giving credit to folks like Tony B. and others at the BCC who have helped organize trail days to work on the staging areas for the climbs. This work was done (in the last year) in cooperation with Boulder County with the idea being that access will be opened sooner rather than later. Obviously it feels like things are going at a snail's pace, but progress is in the forward direction.
Zach M · · Summersville, WV · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

3 years? If past comments are any sign, I think it's more like 10. My understanding is that it was closed due to erosion, not due to flood damage.

mountainproject.com/v/ploti…

As far as nothing being done, there were a few of trail days over the summer and fall, with climbing after each one. Beyond that, I'm sure you are capable of viewing the recent tick lists on each route at Plotinus.

ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481

As others have mentioned, lots of trail work has happened recently. Not sure how much more is needed until it can be officially opened though...

Anyone know if more trail days are coming up? I'd love to help.

ScoJo wrote:As others have mentioned, lots of trail work has happened recently. Not sure how much more is needed until it can be officially opened though... Anyone know if more trail days are coming up? I'd love to help.
Yes, there are some new trail days in the works. If I remember, I will try and post about when I hear something (provided others like Tony B. don't beat me to it).
John Klooster · · Arvada, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 10

Plotinus trail days with bcc are March 9,15, 20, and 23

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
John Klooster wrote:Plotinus trail days with bcc are March 9,15, 20, and 23
That's the trail days that they need help for, but the professional team will be doing work there more consistently:

UPCOMING STEWARDSHIP PROJECTS
> Jan 23-Mar 1: FRCS project at N Table Mtn
> Mar 6-31: FRCS project at Plotinus Wall (signup coming)
> Apr 4-Aug 4: FRCS project in Clear Creek Canyon (signup coming)
> Aug 22-Oct 13: FRCS project at Third Flatiron (signup coming)
> Oct 16-31: FRCS project at Indian Creek (signup coming)

boulderclimbers.org/what-do…

And J.A. Thanks for the credit, but I am not on the board any more. I stepped down after 6 years and have moved on, for now. You can check the current board and staff here:

boulderclimbers.org/about/h…

As for how long it has been closed and why? Well, there was a rockfall incident, then a flood.
The problem with work there is that the trail crossed private property, City land, and USFS... so there was a menagerie of legal work to go with the technical aspects of things. Roger Briggs spearheaded the effort to get everyoneon the same page witht he FRCS (the trail team funded by your donations) and that's finally happening.
The USFS could not authorize a trail without NEPA, but they COULD allow for erosion mitigation, etc... the city can't build a trail that dead-ends to USFS land, or to private land that has not trail, etc...

Yes, it is frustrating.
But it is also moving along again, this spring.
If you care to support the movement, consider volunteering on the project, or donating to the team. The various governments might allow us to do certain work, but they are not always going to pay for it.

boulderclimbers.org/support…
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Access to Plotinus Wall in Lower Drem Canyon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started