Mountain Project Logo

Rock Climbing in New Hampshire.

Original Post
Jamie Cunningham · · Suncook · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 1,356

The Notches: A Climber's Guide to the Western White Mountains of New Hampshire!!!
more info at: eaglecliffpub.com/climb/

Charles Proctor · · Somerville, MA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 75

Any more info on the guidebook? I'm assuming it'll be awesome but I'd like to at least see a few sample pages before I drop $40 on it.

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455
Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Charlie P wrote:Any more info on the guidebook? I'm assuming it'll be awesome but I'd like to at least see a few sample pages before I drop $40 on it.
Ditto.

Is there a digital version being planned?
losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
Kevin Heckeler wrote: Ditto. Is there a digital version being planned?
Geez Kevin. Dip into the "I don't buy people beers" account. I assume there has to be an couple of grand in it.

Destined to be viewed as a classic. Will be sold out soon. Then you can pick it up on ebay for a couple of hundred.

Besides you do know New Hampshire is a different state don't you? It isn't an area within the Daks that J&J didn't cover in their guide.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

To anyone that would like to thumb through the book... I saw lots of copies at IME the other day.

I think the book's well worth $40.

losbill wrote: Geez Kevin. Dip into the "I don't buy people beers" account. I assume there has to be an couple of grand in it. Destined to be viewed as a classic. Will be sold out soon. Then you can pick it up on ebay for a couple of hundred. Besides you do know New Hampshire is a different state don't you? It isn't an area within the Daks that J&J didn't cover in their guide.
You lost me. Don't most guide book publishers post a couple pages/screen shots?

Why didn't you quote Charlie?

I do plan on actually climbing in the Whites someday (other than Rumney). :p
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Kevin Heckeler wrote: You lost me. Don't most guide book publishers post a couple pages/screen shots? Why didn't you quote Charlie? I do plan on actually climbing in the Whites someday (other than Rumney). :p
Because everyone likes picking on you :) Charlie's no fun. He'll probably just blow it off!
B CS · · NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 41

very interested.
can you put a screen shot of the table of contents and maybe like one route description to get an idea what all is in the book?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

From the publisher's site:

For more information: eaglecliffpub@gmail.com

Bill Kirby wrote: Because everyone likes picking on you :)
I'm sure losbill does, he gets a loose belay next time in return. Not sure about anyone else... unless you're giving me some insight into your mind?...

Re-reading Bill N's reply, I think he was being sarcastic. Not sure how my meter didn't ping.

We should ALL email the publisher... then post our findings here.

eaglecliffpub@gmail.com
Charles Proctor · · Somerville, MA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 75

Thanks for the heads up that it's available at IME! I'll probably just pick up a copy there and save ten bucks. Maybe they should list some stores that sell the book on the website?

Matt Wilson · · Vermont, USA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 316

Are those new Rumney crags?

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 295

No, north of Rumney. The new Rumney guide will be out this spring....I promise!

Matt Wilson · · Vermont, USA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 316
ward smith wrote:No, north of Rumney. The new Rumney guide will be out this spring....I promise!
Haha I was just making a joke that Rumney often overshadows other climbing areas in NH. I actually didn't realize you were making a new guide book!
losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
Kevin Heckeler wrote: You lost me. Don't most guide book publishers post a couple pages/screen shots? Why didn't you quote Charlie? I do plan on actually climbing in the Whites someday (other than Rumney). :p
Kevin to be serious for just a moment. I have and treasure Jon's Secrets of The Notch, personally signed by Jon by the way giving tribute to my survival on Cannon despite my unbelievably piss-poor, route-finding abilities. It is incredibly well done, well-researched, informative and entertaining. Get the damn new book if you have any inclination at all to do so. I have climbed a few routes that are in it that have not previously been published elsewhere. They will appeal to average Daks climber but not the average Masshole cragster, if you know what I mean. If you don't, don't worry about it but don't buy the book.

Jon certainly didn't produce it for the booty. I am sure is a piece of art and as such I'm sure a piece of his soul as well. Buy the damn book.

My best to Val. See you soon. Bill

I'll take that as a formal endorsement? ;-)

Rob p · · south hampton nh · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

I woke up today hung over n depressed that I'm stuck in the flatlands for two more months. This book will help. Can't wait for the Romney book too. Dose anyone know if Todd swain is still coming out with a couple southern NH books?

For those of you that use Facebook there are two pages you can sign up for to get a lot more info about the book, climbing in these areas, photography, video, and much, much more:

The Notches: A Rock Climbing Guidebook to the Western White Mountains ( facebook.com/TheNotches/?hc…),

....and my page (which was formally called Valhalla Publishing and was the page for the The Notches, before Eagle Cliff Publishing came into existence.)(Look for my unpublished history of climbing in Franconia Notch (2001) and an article on the history, science, and demise of the Old Man of the Mountain):

Western White Mountain Climber ( facebook.com/search/top/?q=….)

I will talk to Jon about maybe getting some screen shots out there and creating a list of climbs with star ratings for Franconia Notch. For those who doubt the value of this book, I can tell you I couldn't said better than losbill:

"Kevin to be serious for just a moment. I have and treasure Jon's Secrets of The Notch, personally signed by Jon by the way giving tribute to my survival on Cannon despite my unbelievably piss-poor, route-finding abilities. It is incredibly well done, well-researched, informative and entertaining. Get the damn new book if you have any inclination at all to do so. I have climbed a few routes that are in it that have not previously been published elsewhere. They will appeal to average Daks climber but not the average Masshole cragster, if you know what I mean. If you don't, don't worry about it but don't buy the book.

Jon certainly didn't produce it for the booty. I am sure is a piece of art and as such I'm sure a piece of his soul as well. Buy the damn book."

Thank you losbill: you have hit the peg on the head and made a sound placement!!!

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
ward smith wrote:No, north of Rumney. The new Rumney guide will be out this spring....I promise!
What's the cover photo going to be?

"What's the cover photo going to be?"

Click the links to my previous post and....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Rock Climbing in New Hampshire."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started