Mountain Project Logo

J-tree boulder good for kids?

Original Post
Jefferson Humphreys · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Heading down to J-tree from Canada next week! Wondering if anyone can recommend a good area to bring a 6 and 3 three old, maybe even with some easy boulders for them as well? They're pretty used to messing around on my home wall...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Don B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I'll second Lockers recommendation. I have taken youngsters to Morbid Mound in by the Group Campsite Rd and they had a fun time. There is a 5.1 staircase that may keep your 3 year old from getting frustrated. Indian Cove is very family friendly. Lots of restrooms, almost no traffic, and it won't be raging with tour buses.

Thanks guys!

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Honestly, the entire park is great for that. But I'll third what the others said about Indian Cove. I was there recently with a big group of kids and it was fantastic for that. And the weather will be warmer than the high parts of the park.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Jefferson Humphreys wrote:Really appreciate the quick replies! Most of the park is pretty good for kids then? I'm wondering about also finding a spot with some V5 and under problems as well as fun for kids?
Unfortunately, I haven't really bouldered much at J-tree, but overall, the park is very kid friendly and I've had no problems taking very young kids to many areas of the park. IMO, The biggest hazard for kids would be the cacti. Have fun!
susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,756

The six year old should be great - my daughter was raised scrambling around JT and overall super safe place to be. Ideal really with it's large flat and sandy nature and ability to see distances (as t hey wonder and scramble off) The 3 year old, that may be a tricker as attention spans fade and long/cool nights . Suppose much of that depends on the children and their experience.

It sounds like you're coming to camp, but if you're looking to base out of a house - let me know, I might have a place to offer Bro-Deal depending on dates. JoshuaTreeVacationHomes

~Susan

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102
The biggest hazard for kids would be the cacti.

Yes. And the occasional rattlesnake.
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Indian Cove would be great. If you want to head into the main park, I like the Outback quite a bit. The 3 yr. old might need some steering to avoid the occasional cholla and yucca, but there's good fun to be had. My kids love the Hobbit Hole and the general exploring.

Such great info... thanks everyone! And thank you Susan, but we're actually staying with my in laws. 10 days might feel like a long time though... so who knows lol

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,756

In-laws... even better! Have a great visit, weather is finally looking as it should. It's been an incredible wet winter.

Palm Springs Air Museum has open cock-pit on Saturday mornings , that might be fun for the kids for an off-day.

Plenty of other activities too to keep you busy. Have a blast!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "J-tree boulder good for kids?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started