Mountain Project Logo

WTB first used ice tools

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Ryan Banfield · · Goffstown, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, got on the ice with a weekend course after climbing rock and winter hiking for a while and I'm hooked. Starting to gear up for next season here in New England piece by piece and since the season only has a few months left, I thought I'd throw out some lines to start looking for used gear people want to unload to get shiny new stuff and still have time to play with it before a thaw.

What I'm looking for: A pair of functional tools. I don't care about looks and scuff marks, this is a used climbing forum section, not a beauty pageant. What I do care about is does your 6 year old use it to hammer rocks to dust in the off season? To refine that even further, if you're selling it because it's getting near end of life, I probably won't be interested. I would also be willing to buy a shaft if you've destroyed the head, so long as the price reflects that. I'm not looking for a tool that's specific to one type of climb, more of an all around tool.

This is my first set of tools, and I will be asking friends about whatever you send me since I don't know what I don't know when buying a first tool, so I may take a day or two to make a decision. All I know is I demoed the Nordic and the Cobra and really enjoyed them (No surprise there, I'm sure).

I don't really have a set budget on the tool, I'll pay a decent amount for the right one, just please don't send me a tool you've used once and expect close to retail prices for, I'm making a used gear post for a reason :)

Thanks for taking the time to read!

James Wolff · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 215
mountainproject.com/scripts…

https://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/mobileForum.php?type=message&id=112477466

Awesome, thanks for the pictures. I know nothing about the DMM's other than seeing them, so I'll have to ask around about them, thanks for sending me those! :)

-Ryan

David.Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 10

1 generation cobras in great shape

1 Alaskan pic (mountaineering)
2 Titan Picks (Alpine)
4 Laser picks
extra hammer (a chopped off adze)
2 antroid leashes
2 Grivel Pinky rests

I'm thinking ~$250 shipping included.

I can send pics if you want.

Please do :)

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Ryan, what tools have you climbed on? You might also be able to catch some end of season sales. Trango Raptors are $175 MSRP so if you find a sale then they can be pretty affordable.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Mark Ra wrote:Ryan, what tools have you climbed on? You might also be able to catch some end of season sales. Trango Raptors are $175 MSRP so if you find a sale then they can be pretty affordable.
They are great tools at that price. Great regardless of price, actually; I've taken mine up M7 and WI5, which is MY limit rather than the tools'. And last year they went on sale from at least one retailer for something like $270/pair. At that price, you can't afford not to have a pair. (That's what I'll explain to my wife if I buy another pair anyway.)
Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190
Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

BD Rages, $200/pair cascadeclimbers.com/forum/u…

Ryan Banfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys,

Please e-mail me any tools you are interested in having me look at to blueskiesabove26@gmail.com

Apparently, this forum limits the posts you can make in the first few days of an account to 2 or 3, so I'm locked out for a few days. Had to create this dummy account just to be able to chat with you guys. Private messages don't seem to work for me either on my "main" account, sorry for any confusion this may cause, it's an inconvenience for me also that I've already sent a message to the admins about :(

Yes, I am a real person and my interest in tools is genuine.

-Ryan

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Buy some raptors.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Hi Ryan, I've got some essentially new Cobras for sale! They are a high end tool, so they will definitely be something that you can grow with. Plus the picks have only a handful of minutes on them so they will last you a while!

mountainproject.com/v/bd-co…

--- Invalid image id: 112485784 ---

New condition with a used price tag!

FINALLY I can post on here again, sorry for the confusion about having two accounts, wish I knew that new accounts couldn't post more than twice before getting shut off for a few days...

Mark Ra wrote:Ryan, what tools have you climbed on? You might also be able to catch some end of season sales. Trango Raptors are $175 MSRP so if you find a sale then they can be pretty affordable.
I would really be interested in the Raptors with the low price tag as an entry tool, the trouble is that everything I read mentions a recall about very low break force of the pick from the shaft, is this still the case?

To answer your follow up question, in the initial post, I mentioned I've been on Nomic's and Cobras and, of course, loved both. I haven't been on any "lower grade" tools before.

Thanks again :)

And I appreciate the two sets of $400 BD Cobra's on here, but I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger on a high end tool like that right out of the gate, I'm looking more in the $300 range for my first tools.

Thanks guys!

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I have a pair of Cassin X-All Mountain tools that I might think about getting rid of... they are great "do it all" tools but I think I'd be better served with two sets of more specialized tools(I recently got a pair of X-Dreams). That said, I would hate to see them go because they are really good tools. I'd be looking for $350 for the set, and I'd include an extra pair of picks (beat up from mixed climbing) and an extra handle. I also have a BD Spinner Leash that works really well with these tools that I would throw in for another $25.

diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I think this is what you're looking for:

cascadeclimbers.com/forum/u…

diepj wrote:I think this is what you're looking for: cascadeclimbers.com/forum/u…
Yup, trying to make an account to message that guy, but the site doesn't like mobile phones for making a new account. Will message him as soon as I can :)
Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440

BD Cobra and Petzl Ergo here:

mountainproject.com/v/drop-…

Anyone else having trouble with cascade climbers? I can't register on their page and their "Contact us" form seems to not be generating a code so I can ask them about it.If anyone feels like telling that cascade kid user on the link above that I'd like to buy his tools and to message me here (you'll earn brownie points from me :) ), that would be awesome, otherwise I'm still in the market!

Marc-Olivier wrote:BD Cobra and Petzl Ergo here: mountainproject.com/v/drop-…
I would love a set of cobras, but I think I'm looking for something a little more used and lower in price unless you're willing to negotiate all the extras out of it.

-Ryan
JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90

I have a set of good BD Vipers

mountainproject.com/v/fs---…

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started