Mountain Project Logo

Working in Yosemite this summer?

Original Post
Andrew Krick · · Oakdale, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 206

I just got hired to work as a cashier in Yosemite this summer and I'm super stoked for all of the climbing and hiking. Just curious if anyone else on here is going to be working there this summer.

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Man, so jealous I applied for housekeeping and haven't heard a squeak

adam.b · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 161

Got hired as a cook in the Yosemite Lodge, gonna be a sick summer! We should get out on some climbs in the summer!

Amanda Smith · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 853

Does anyone know if you can bring a small dog with if you get hired on with Aramark or something?

M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 12
SmithVentures wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring a small dog with if you get hired on with Aramark or something?
Probably not, they don't allow pets in a lot of their housing. If you are just seasonal, it's not likely.
Ryan Sheridan · · Yosemite Village, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

No dogs in employee housing. Some managers have the option to have pets, but still its a pain. Dogs are only allowed on paved trails, and the park is super busy. I wouldnt try it.

Jessica Kennedy · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Yay, new lil Yosemites! I was there for a year and a half a couple years ago - the first 4 months were some of the most fun and wonderful of my life - and I didn't even climb then. You'll love it!

Jessica Kennedy wrote:Yay, new lil Yosemites! I was there for a year and a half a couple years ago - the first 4 months were some of the most fun and wonderful of my life - and I didn't even climb then. You'll love it!
Sweet! I'm so stoked and really hope that I find some climbing partners there. You're not working there over summer are you?
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Can you hook me up with a wilderness permit? ;)

Jake wander wrote:Can you hook me up with a wilderness permit? ;)
I'll work on that STAT lol
Amanda Smith · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 853
Ryan Sheridan wrote:No dogs in employee housing. Some managers have the option to have pets, but still its a pain. Dogs are only allowed on paved trails, and the park is super busy. I wouldnt try it.
Thanks, I guess I'll wait until I can afford to just visit in the Fall or cooler temps. I don't want to part with my pup, she's too old for that and I've been with her for a long time. :()
JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17
Jessica Kennedy wrote: I was there for a year and a half a couple years ago - the first 4 months were some of the most fun and wonderful of my life - and I didn't even climb then.
What about the other 14?
Ellis L · · Truckee · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 156

Those who got hired with Aramark for this season - Whats the timeline like? When do they ask that you start work? Just curious, I applied for kitchen jobs.

Bryan G · · June Lake, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,167

Typically they need to start bringing in more staff starting late March or early April. Seems like the tourists show up earlier and earlier every year. Usually they can't hire people fast enough and need to bring in Labor Ready and basically anyone they can get. Cashier is sort of a brutal job. Expect to look down a line of customers 20 deep all day every day. Personally I think roomskeeping or sanitation janitor are the best entry level positions, but usually you don't have much say in which position you get awarded. But living in the Valley is great, and an easy way to save some cash provided you don't spend it all on booze and drugs.

calder davey · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 100

What Bryan said. It can be hard to find time to really get out and climb with a job, especially one that wears you down. But it is really amazing being there. Have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Working in Yosemite this summer?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started