Mountain Project Logo

Question about carrying the rope

Original Post
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I have been struggling to find a good comfortable easy way to carry my climbing rope I have in the past tried strapping it to my pack putting it inside the back or draping it over the pack or carrying it across my shoulders can any people recommend what they think is the best way to carry the climbing rope?

Timothy L · · New York · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

Easiest way for you to carry the rope is to make your partner do the work.

James Wolff · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 215

Are you talking about while just approaching the crag? Either in a rope bag or tied as a backpack.

Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 317

How big is your pack? Are you cragging? Hiking into the backcountry?

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

Those all sound comfortable..........?

Ralph Swansen · · Boulder CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 761

Get a bigger backpack. Preferrably one that carries well. Put the rope in the backpack with your other stuff, all in the backpack.

Unless you are going fast & light./alpine Then just suffer.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Put in your pack

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

If this makes you struggle basically there are two solutions:

1. Quit climbing. Invest your time in TV shows consuming or something like that.

2. Become stronger.

I would like to add a $0.02.

Climbing is everything about struggling and suffering. If struggling and suffering do not resonate to you, please, stay at home. Don't climb.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

There is no best way. If you are not comfortable with it strapped to, or put inside your pack, then you have issues with the pack you are using. If you don't want to get a different pack, try coiling it and putting it over a shoulder. I typically hike in with my harness and that leaves more room in my pack for the rope. I keep lighter, bulkier items clipped to the outside (helmet, shoes...) so the rope can fit inside, closer to my back, where the load is more comfortable.

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Pavel Burov wrote:I would like to add a $0.02. Climbing is everything about struggling and suffering. If struggling and suffering do not resonate to you, please, stay at home. Don't climb.
This ^^

If you don't do it just like Pavel does it, for exactly the same reasons Pavel does it, you shouldn't do it at all and you should get the f@#$ out of his way.

n00b, thank you, sir. It was sooo resonating with the last episode of the 6th Sopranos season I'd been watching :)

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Just tried the watching television shows its too bright it hurts my eyes and my ass hurts from all this sitting.

FourT6and2 ... · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 45

I roll my rope up in one of those tarps. Pack it all up like a burrito. Then put it in my backpack. Easy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Question about carrying the rope"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started