Mountain Project Logo

Cancel Trip to Zion?

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Some of the slots would require a dry suit at this time of year.

OP: If you've never done technical slots, get some instruction and start gently - there are some specialized techniques in the more technical canyons, including knowing how to escape a keeper pothole.

Good point! I've done canyons in November in a 7mm but it might be different in January. Englestead opens by rappelling down the Zicycle so if it's in setting a TR and climbing 300' of ice is another option for adventure. Hopefully the OP doesn't opt for a canyon that needs escape techniques for his first run. That's why I recommended the canyon I did, it's 4B with no pothole escapes.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

let's not encourage people to go to namaste in the winter when the park is wet... or any other time it's "wet everywhere else"

Reasons.

1 deep shade. If it's wet it's not drying. Also, it will be miserable there in that time period.

2 although somewhat robust, let's not test the limits of the holds when wet.

3 bolts have pulled from heavy use. Let's not pull bolts from wet stone.

4 it's porous rock, the overhang does not make it immune to the weather.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

Also. This slide is big. It may take most of a week to get out.

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
Rob Warden, Space Lizard wrote: let's not encourage people to go to namaste in the winter when the park is wet... or any other time it's "wet everywhere else" Reasons. 1 deep shade. If it's wet it's not drying. Also, it will be miserable there in that time period. 2 although somewhat robust, let's not test the limits of the holds when wet. 3 bolts have pulled from heavy use. Let's not pull bolts from wet stone. 4 it's porous rock, the overhang does not make it immune to the weather.
Didn't know thanks for the input!

to OP if you're into skiing there's also Brian Head brianhead.com/
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

BrokenChairs Carlile wrote:
"If you're set on Zion and the rock is wet but it's not raining you can always run a canyon. I'd recommend Englestead Hollow to Orderville and out the Narrows.

I've done canyons in November in a 7mm but it might be different in January. Hopefully the OP doesn't opt for a canyon that needs escape techniques for his first run. That's why I recommended the canyon I did, it's 4B with no pothole escapes."
""""""""""""""""""

From canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zi…
See the section I bolded:

LOGISTICS

Rating 4B III or IV
Season Summer or fall
Time
Commitment
6 to 10 hours
Longest Rappel
300 feet (91 m)
Access
Requires car spot or shuttle service. Canyon starts near Zion Ponderosa and either finishes at the Orderville Trailhead (also on the North Fork Road) or downstream at the Temple of Sinawava.
Permit Required?
YES - if exiting down The Narrows
YES - if exiting up Orderville

Seasonal Adjustments
Road access and ice in the canyon make winter and spring generally inaccessible and canyon conditions dangerous with ice bridges and blockages. Summer and fall, after spring melt-off are the preferred seasons for this canyon.

EQUIPMENT

Essentials Helmets, rappelling gear, webbing, rapid links
Cold Water
Protection Wetsuits or drysuits recommended in cool weather, especially if continuing down Orderville Canyon.

Drinking Water Some available to filter once in lower Orderville. Bring plenty if hiking upstream to Orderville Trailhead; the hike is long and in full sun.

DIFFICULTIES

Flash Flood Risk
Moderate - The collection zone is small and wooded, but the canyon has extended narrows that are inescapable.
Skills Required
The initial long rappel (260 or 300 feet) deserves special respect, and has been the scene of several incidents.
Anchors All natural, except two bolt anchors near the beginning. Bring plenty of webbing to re-rig, if necessary.

sstratts · · Virgin, UT · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

It's been rainy/cloudy most days, wet ground and rock since Christmas...I would guess it needs 4-5 days of full sun to dry out, which doesn't look like it's coming before your trip. No climbers here...no locals either--everybody's skiing or laying on a beach this time of year :)

Any dirt road access to canyoneering is wet & inaccesible till April too--best season to be in Zion is a few months away. Hope you find a dry spot, it's been a wet one all over so far this winter--but we need it! :)

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

anyone have success with these weather predictions:

weather.com/weather/monthly…

looks like (as of now) good weather should start next week wednesday and continue throughout my trip ( sat jan 28- thurs feb 2).

maybe if that prediction is correct, by the last couple days, the rock could be dry enough to climb.

just want to reiterate, we will not use our limited time to justify climbing when the conditions are not appropriate.

thanks for all the advice.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

Yeah - everything I'm seeing says we should be under a ridge of high pressure starting next week. It'll probably be sunny and dry starting on Wednesday - problem is that southern Utah is going to get hit with probably two more storms before then and with the cold temps and the shitload of moisture we've gotten this winter, I doubt it'll dry off in time for you.

wasatchsnowforecast.com/

any further updates from people out there for the 28th - the 2nd? thanks.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Posting too late for Jake, but in case anyone else is interested: I hiked Observation Point last Sat. The trail up to the E rim was bootpacked, a bit icy in spots. Once I topped out it was postholing up to thigh deep all the way to the view point.

on the way to Observation Point

E Rim trail

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Moonlight was too wet but after a couple days in red rocks we jumped on touchstone after some advice from a local guide. It was a great trip (and very dry). Thanks again.

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Jake wander wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the info. Moonlight was too wet but after a couple days in red rocks we jumped on touchstone after some advice from a local guide. It was a great trip (and very dry). Thanks again.
boomin'

I like to believe things work out for the best if you can be adaptable enough. Happy to hear ya'll didn't waste your vacation time.

How was Touchstone?

Thanks.

Thouchstone was so awesome. Such great exposure and fun climbing. Can't wait to head back to Zion.

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

Nice! Glad you were able to get on something. Touchstone is a blast.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Cancel Trip to Zion?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started