Mountain Project Logo

Sandstone ice conditions?

Original Post
Mitch alons · · Rapid city SD · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 500

Went to the ice festival eairly January wanted to make another trip up there, was curious what conditions were like there before I make another trip?
Thanks Mitch

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,947
facebook.com/Sandstone-Ice-…

Last post is from the 22nd, but I am sure that the ice is still awesome!
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Great shape! The freeze thaw means it's much less hooked out that it would otherwise be.

Mitch alons · · Rapid city SD · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 500

Awesome thanks guys

Jess Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 173

Anyone headed out on the 19th or are the crazy warm day temps deterring folks

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Jess Arnold wrote:Anyone headed out on the 19th or are the crazy warm day temps deterring folks
Curious too since I am bailing on Vegas and would love to climb outside in MN ice or rock while I visit this weekend.

As far as I know my trip is still a go

jersey girl wrote: Curious too since I am bailing on Vegas and would love to climb outside in MN ice or rock while I visit this weekend.
Scratch my previous comment; ice plans were scrapped for this weekend. Pals headed there today and said conditions were too wet and would likely be worse.
Jess Arnold wrote: Scratch my previous comment; ice plans were scrapped for this weekend. Pals headed there today and said conditions were too wet and would likely be worse.
Thanks for the update. Seems like RW or TF might be a better option!
jersey girl wrote: Thanks for the update. Seems like RW or TF might be a better option!
Yeah, my folks and I are probably switching areas as well. Though the winter wall might be the only thing climbable at this point, and the potholes @ TF will be interesting...

Think we are heading to TF if anyone can comment on conditions there that would be great!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Sandstone ice conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started