Mountain Project Logo

Shoe size help! TC pros

Original Post
Cameron Jacobs · · Santa Clarita, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 245

I have a size ten foot, what would be a good size in the tc pros for me? I want a snug fit but not uncomfortably so. Thanks for the help!

Matthew Tangeman · · SW Colorado · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,098

Maybe try a 42.5 or 43?

I have a size 10.5 street shoe, and have size 44 TC Pros. It's a comfy (but still performing) fit. Snug fit for me is 43.5.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Here's my TC situation-

TC Pros: 42
Sportiva Mountain Boots: 42.5
Nikes: 9.5

In hot areas, I wish I got my TCs in 42.5

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,012

^^^+1^^^ ditto for me on the mountain boots and Nikes, but got the TC Pros in 42.5 and keep wondering how the 42s would be in performance vs comfort.

longlep · · Grand Junction · Joined May 2014 · Points: 20

I wear size ten street shoes and a 42 in the tc pros. They are sized to wear all day. I take them off at belays about a third of the time. I think they are bigger than my 42.5 miuras. I also wear 42.5 5.10 verdons, 42.5 5.10 mocs, 43 scarpa cruxs, and 43 scarpa vapor v's if that helps.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Benjamin Chapman wrote:^^^+1^^^ ditto for me on the mountain boots and Nikes, but got the TC Pros in 42.5 and keep wondering how the 42s would be in performance vs comfort.
I think you made the right call with going with your normal sizing. In hindsight I wish I got a 42.5 as well. I actually took a heat gun to mine to stretch them out a little bit. They are probably around 42.25 now haha
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Street 12.5-13 (47?), TC Pros 46 for cracks/all day. Flat toes, can leave 'em on for several hours but have to really crank 'me down and use a special way of tying to keep my heels secure (I have really narrow heels). 45 or 45.5 would be performance fit.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I usually only go down 1/2 size but the TC pro I'm down a full size

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

I am a 10.5 street shoe for the most part

I wear: 42.5 in TCs / 42 in Testarossas / 41.5 in Futuras

in the TCs i have a very slight toe bend thats great for face, but flat enough to make cracks comfy... terrific shoe!

-Z

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Street (Nike/Vans/Keds) 10.5
TC Pro 42-42.5
Miura 41.5

42 is a good performance size for me. I wear with and without (thin) socks, good for a pitch or two but I like to pop them off occasionally during multipitch if the belay allows. 42.5 is a bit more generous. No interest in going up to a 43. I could see doing 41.5 if I really had to get down to business on pure edging, but I'd lose a lot of comfort.

Just chimed in because I see a lot of recommendations for not sizing down as much, which for me at least would be a mistake.

All that said, they really don't stretch much in length, so if you can find a pair to try on you should be able to have a pretty good idea.

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I wear a 10.5 street shoe and go for 44 in my TCs. Not too loose but not too snug

paul northup · · Somerville, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 55

I have a size 12ish foot depending on the size. I've had good luck with measuring my foot in centimeters (31cm for my bigger foot) and checking the sole length for the brand if they do a centimeter conversion. If a company doesn't have a centimeter size chart, the running rate is 6.6mm per EU size. For example with TC Pros, a 46 sole is usually 30.36cm but I wanted a tighter fit, so I bought a 46 (30.36cm by calculation) and a 45.5(30.03cm by calculation) from a store with free returns. I think it was REI for my TCs. The 45.5s were great for me, but for a more all day comfort shoe, I'd go with the 46s. That being said, I'm fine climbing 5-8 pitches and walking off in my 45.5s after they stretched, though I sure like taking them off when I'm done.

Here's a chart for you: Foot Size Chart

I guess the real question is, is it a size 10 foot, or do you wear a size 10 shoe? I'd measure your foot, and buy a half size down from the shoe size closest to your proper foot measurement. Hope that helps, they're great shoes!

Cameron Jacobs · · Santa Clarita, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 245

Thanks northup! I think I will do the measuring method because I am buying the shoes online. Very helpful!

Travis Senor · · Cary, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 60

I have a size 10 shoe/boot (43 in LS boots) and wear a 41.5 TC Pro. They will stretch quite a bit after they break in, so after use they've adjusted to a comfy all-day fit but still perform pretty well (at least so far as I can tell), if that helps at all. I also have extremely narrow feet, so your mileage may vary depending on that.

William Kramer · · Kemmerer, WY · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 935

I wear 10-10.5 usually, depending on company. Upon a recommendation I went with 42.5 TC Pros. Trick is to leave the laces at the toe end loose, and snug up the top. After a couple of pitches they should stretch out nicely. They've turned out to be the most comfortable shoe I've had, can easily wear them for 12 hours, and they have great all around performance

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15
Matthew Tangeman wrote: Maybe try a 42.5 or 43? I have a size 10.5 street shoe, and have size 44 TC Pros. It's a comfy (but still performing) fit. Snug fit for me is 43.5.

Matthew, curious about your fit a little down the line here.

I'm about a 10.5 street shoe, wear a 42.5 in Otakis with a pretty good amount of toe curling, which is fine for what I use them on. I also have a pair of 5.10 Rogues in a 44 that are loose, sloppy, and have some dead space in the toe. I'm looking at a pair of 44 TC's that will be used for long climbs, multipitch, and routes that are not gimme's, but that I don't necessarily need my Otaki's on. Conventional wisdom says size up .5 from other LS shoes, but I tried on a 43.5 and that had some slight toe curling, mostly on the big toe for me. I don't want these to stretch so much that they become sloppy, but I also don't want them to not be comfortable for long days.
Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

Size 10 here, 42 for multipitch. Snug fit, toes just slightly bent.

Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

I have Size 11 street shoe. 45 LS mountain boot. 43 TC Pro, snug but not painful tight 

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

10.5 to 11 street shoe (brand dependent)
43 in TC pros. Sized for all day. Probably go for 42.5 for more technical, single pitch... But then again I'd probably go with a different shoe altogether for that use. 

John Clark · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 1,398

Street Size: 44.5 (10.5 US) (Guide/Access tennies)
TC Bros: 41.5 (performance, have to take off every hour or so)
Mocs: 8.5 US (performance and comfy)
Anasazi VCS: 9.5 US (comfy)
Synthetic Mocs: 9 US (comfy)
Hiangle: 9.5 US (tough break in, but all day comfort)
BD Aspect: 10 US (all day)
Black Teams: 10.5 US
Stonelands: 10.5 (loose comfy)

Gabe Parker · · Zebulon, GA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 30

11½ New balance 43 TC's

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Shoe size help! TC pros"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started