Mountain Project Logo

Plz Advise on Ski-Back-Packing Spots in N. Mich

Original Post
4th St · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

Am unfamiliar with region and looking for places where I can park in a plowed lot, not get towed by LEO and then ski on a broken but not trashed trail and camp back in the woods on a weekend trip. Any suggestions?

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

You might get more information that will help you out by posting to the Powder Project instead of MP. Good luck.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Northern Lower Michigan or the UP? I only know of places in the UP to help.

U.P. is too far. N. LP is the idea.

Yeah maybe I'll try some other Web site, though I'd have thought that since there's basically zero climbing in midwest, those who know the area might have some alternate pursuits that are vaguely related.

Am 10 miles here from "Grand Ledge" -- the best rock climbing within 300 miles. A f*%^ing 12-foot mud bluff...!!!!

A weekend-type overnight ski trip. There's tons of national forest up there but I don't have a handle on it......"in-holdings" & cornfields seem to be everywhere......

I've asked around at local camping and ski shops -- but people around here don't even seem to understand the question.

Am thinking "snow mobile trails" might do...if traffic not too heavy & there is some new snow.

Andy Million · · Murfreesboro TN · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 65

Maybe look at mountain bike trails? Something like the North Country Trail may fit the bill.

You can join the NCT from many places, but I'm only familiar with the Timber Creek Campground (Branch, MI). There is an ATV/snowmobile trail and then singletrack that will probably get fat bike traffic.

Timber Creek Campground

Professor Watermelon · · MADISON · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

NCT in the UP and Wisco, Porkies in the UP,  IAT in Wisco are all areas that I've skied.  In my experience in the Midwest, there are many spots, you just have to FIND them.  Most people don't know about them.  Choose your own adventure!

Daniel Hamilton · · Iron Range, MN · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I would advise against most snowmobile trails in the LP. High traffic and they get piss pounded.

Huron-Manistee National Forest has many groomed and BC trails.

As for zero climbing in the Midwest, you need to get out more....

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I have been considering the same thing. Have a look at the Jordan River trail north of Manistee. And there is the Mason tTract east of grayling. 

mm thanks.....UP is TOO FAR......although I've been looking at Ontario side of Lake Superior.

It seems the geology abruptly changes at the border to the "Canadian Shield" and there's tons or exposed granitic rock ledges and hills (vs .Michigan swampland and mud sediment).

Getting to these places above S. St Marie is far  quicker than getting to most of UP. Stupid Michiganders don't know about it.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Yup, agree.  Go North to the Soo, cross the bridge and head 30 min further north, then turn east for just a bit and park. 

Skyler Cavitt · · Royal Oak, MI · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 27

Cheboygan state park has some pretty decent XC-ski trails with plowed roads and trail heads, they even have some cabins you oculd ski out to and camp out at if glamping is your cup of tea.  I think its only 6 miles of tracks though so not sure what you are looking for distance wise.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Plz Advise on Ski-Back-Packing Spots in N. Mich"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started