Mountain Project Logo

Snow at Sugarloaf?

Original Post
1jkemp · · Sacramento · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Anyone know if there is snow at Sugarloaf? I think it's right around the snowline, wondering if things would be dry enough to climb on Sunday.

MikeI · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

There's about a foot of snow. Top and bottom.

Thanks!

Brandon R · · CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 178

If anyone makes it out there today, could you give an update on conditions?

Alex Lloyd · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 35

Anybody have any updates on Sugarloaf? This week looks clear, so I was hoping to give friday a shot.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Check the road. Pretty sure its closed due to slides.

Eben Freeman · · Sierra eastside · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 96

Road is very much open. Hopefully someone else will weigh in with better information, but I can tell you that it looked more or less good to go while driving by yesterday. Patches of snow on the ground but not blanketed.

I would love to get out there on Sunday, hoping someone can weigh in on updated snow conditions at Sugarloaf.

calder davey · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 100

Was up there a few days ago, and there was snow on top of the rock, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be fine climbing there by the weekend.. unless it snowed again since?

Any updates? Anyone know if there is snow at Sugarloaf? Weather looks decent there for Saturday.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

drove past it on sunday. looked like no snow on the approach or at base.

Niko Nakamura · · Reno · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

I went climbing there in March and it was beautiful. No snow in sight I think people are just trolling. This picture is from 5 weeks ago...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRhYv-zj2cQ/?taken-by=nikonakamura 

Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145

Climbed at Sugarloaf on Saturday 4/15 - no snow anywhere, and everything we climbed was completely dry.

Chasing Choss · · California · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 416

I know it's not sugar loaf but if anyone was wondering about phantom just be careful on your choice of vehicle to get there. Subi outback for example will not make it.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20
Chasing Choss wrote:

I know it's not sugar loaf but if anyone was wondering about phantom just be careful on your choice of vehicle to get there. Subi outback for example will not make it.

You have any guess on when phantom will be accessible to a subi 4 wheel drive?

Nic Crumley · · Gold River, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 21
You have any guess on when phantom will be accessible to a subi 4 wheel drive?

I went yesterday! You can drive within 3/4 of a mile of of the parking lot and then just hike it in. The hike is snowy and overgrown so make sure you have waterproof boots and pants. Way less crowded than sugarloaf so I'd definitely recommend it

Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24
Nic Crumley wrote:

I went yesterday! You can drive within 3/4 of a mile of of the parking lot and then just hike it in. The hike is snowy and overgrown so make sure you have waterproof boots and pants. Way less crowded than sugarloaf so I'd definitely recommend it

Went last weekend, (May 1) and the snow just past the first campground is still blocking the road for even a big pickup. You can park at the first camp and hike in. When the road opens up the first person in, will need a chain saw to move the downed tree past the snow. All visitors should bring pruners or a machete to trim back the vegetation on both the road and the trails.  Things are quite overgrown in places so plan accordingly.  The climbing was awesome! Great weather, cool temps, wonderful flakes and cracks. Road may be open in a few weeks, the high snow spots are lingering in all the shades areas and the stream crossings. 

David S · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 385

Confirm everything Shaniac said. I was climbing the Upper Spire on Saturday (April 29). Took a Subbie Crosstrek to just before the stream crossing on the gravel road, where there was still plenty of snow. Second the recommendation to bring pruning tools for the approach trail to the Middle Spire.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Snow at Sugarloaf?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started