Mountain Project Logo

Lost: NUT TOOL (Red Rocks)

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

Well, I still haven't found my nut tool but I did have a strange dream last night...

Somehow I found myself in a crowded curio shop located on "The Hill" in Boulder, CO. The shop was loaded with everything from Mexican blankets to used college textbooks, beaded jewelry to bongs to high end bicycle components. Unsure of how or why I came to be in such an establishment, I felt rather trapped and panicked until I spotted on a counter a small, cylindrical, glass-enclosed, display carousel. Suddenly I was overcome with a feeling of calm and a sense of determination to discover the hidden secrets of this object and I made my way to the counter and lifted the top off the case and peered down into it. After thumbing aside some hanging necklaces, dental instruments, and other random widgets, a sudden jolt of adrenaline struck my heart: There, hanging in this case right under my nose were three nut tools. One of these was a worthless BD nut tool but next to it were two others - identical to my lost friend! I knew that the owners of this shop had no idea what they had in their possession and, trembling with excitement I quickly glanced around the shop to make sure no one had seen the treasures I had just discovered. Satisfied that I my discovery had gone unnoticed and intent on buying these two nut tools as quickly as possible, I turned my attention back to the display case, already reaching in to remove the nut tools. In that moment I froze in horror to see that they had somehow vanished! Gone. Into thin air.

A moment later I woke up. The dream (or nightmare) was over, and here I am, still searching for my beloved nut tool.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

Josh, since no one has asked I'll be the one. What is the sentimental value of the tool? Perhaps sharing the story might "help" the person who found it (if it has been found) make the effort to get it to you.

Not to make light of your loss in any way but...Was it a gift from your first and now long lost love? Or from a climbing mentor who has passed? Perhaps the first piece of gear you ever bought? Has it been with you on every climb you've ever done?

Best of luck, hope it comes back to you, JB

It was made in Russia out of titanium and they are no longer available. In addition to being light, I find the shape of the pick to be superior. With it I believe I've been able to booty somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 stuck cams over the years. My rack of C4's is 7 to 12 deep in most sizes and I've only ever bought one set new.

If I can't locate it, and if I could generate sufficient interest, I'd consider going to a local machine shop and having a batch of tools fabricated for sale (as I believe all nut tools currently on the market are total crap - unless your goal is to open a bottle of beer), but since this is pretty esoteric it might not be worth the effort.

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
Josh Janes wrote:It was made in Russia.
Perhaps The Donald can help?
JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Josh Janes wrote:It was made in Russia out of titanium and they are no longer available.
Was it one of the Ushba ones?

Yes.

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Hm I was thinking maybe you'd managed to get your hands on one of these: gearjunkie.com/dicks-nut-tool

Sdm1568 · · Ca · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 80

I may have one of these tools Josh, can you send me a pic or describe which model it was? I'll start looking through my schtufff.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

None of this would be possible without that giant slam of RProp

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

Wow, I have to say that this thread has definitely exceeded the expectations generated by the title.

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
Rprops wrote:There is a nut tool on Birdland on the second pitch as of 2 days ago. Easily snagged with a coat hanger or scrounge in a deep crack near a black water bottle. I didn't inspect it too closely but probably a black diamond tool without a built in biner, but thats just my intuition. If that sounds like it's yours go get it, and please try to keep our classic climbs in Red Rock free of your litter. Maybe after you've climbed for a while you will better understand the ethics of the area.
The contribution list is lacking, but the tick list is worth acknowledging. Looks more like friendly heckling.
George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 6

Hey Josh, that's the #3 Walnut I dropped a few weeks ago. It rained so we bailed and I forgot to look for it. You can keep it--I live in Oregon.

Jon Rhoderick wrote:None of this would be possible without that giant slam of RProp
Agreed. I keep hoping something as spectacular as that will come along on this thread, but alas, like my nut tool, it is nowhere to be found. However, I have had multiple friends from across the country message me their condolences - I had no idea how many lurkers there were on Mountain Project!
James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

Or this one?

Yes. You didn't happen to find that in Red Rocks, did you?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Lost: NUT TOOL (Red Rocks)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started