Mountain Project Logo

Homemade express knob for turbo screw?

Original Post
Tom D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

Hey all,

I'm getting into leading harder ice this season but find myself struggling to efficiently place screws that don't have an express knob and am wondering if anyone has successfully installed one in a regular screw? I'm trying to draw up plans to make a regular ice screw place more quickly and haven't been able to find any evidence on the web about it. I'm looking for something that doesn't have to penetrate the hanger but can attach well enough for me to comfortable crank on the screw.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625
mountainproject.com/v/omega…

But I don't know you can still find them. Maybe call Omega Pacific
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Yes, I've made quite a few. $3 each + shipping and PP fees. The pic shows two versions, aluminum collar and white Nylon collar. I'm only offering the aluminum ones at this price. UPDATE - The collars are now black fiberglass as seen on the folding knob in the post below. Lighter and less prone to freezing.

I send you the knobs and you epoxy them in place. Or you can send me the screw(s) and I'll attach them. This can be done in connection with sharpening via AnIceScrew.com.

Add-on knobs

What would FOLDING retrofit knobs be worth to you?

Without access to a machine shop, the side brackets for these are quite labor intensive, but the setup seems to work fine (I've had exactly one day out in the field with my first working prototype). They look like this (below). Would anyone buy these for, say, $15? As with the fixed retro knobs, they simply glue on the hanger with some JB Weld, no modification to the screw needed, and are removeable with a solid whack with a soft face mallet.

knob folded down

knob up

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

$15 seems to be about the price difference between used express knob and standard screws. Personally, I just chose to upgrade to all express screws.

Linnaeus wrote:$15 seems to be about the price difference between used express knob and standard screws. Personally, I just chose to upgrade to all express screws.
Absolutely. I figure someone would need to be really attached to their Turbos (or pick up a bunch at a steal of a deal. I've seen them sell for $15) to buy these for that price. If I could stamp the side pieces out (of 1/8" aluminum) I could do these for half that price.

Mostly this was just a fun workbench project while we're all waiting for the ice to come in.
Trevor H · · Lethbridge, AB · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 186

Are you selling these Gunkiemike?

Trevor Gregory wrote:Are you selling these Gunkiemike?
Not unless/until I can find way to cut the brackets out more easily. I'm still making and selling the non-folding knobs though: $3 apiece (you glue 'em on) or $4 installed if I'm sharpening the screw at the same time (so $12.50 for sharpen+knob).
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Homemade express knob for turbo screw?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started