Mountain Project Logo

Why we do the climbing

Original Post
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

in this article about why we would do the climbing:

gramicci.com/experience/why…

They leave out most important reasons -

1) You may give in to the ego driving obsessions for chasing the numbers, "achievement," and compare yourownself better to others and looking down on them, giving yourself some slight hope for feeling feeling of self worth, while possibly developing the eating disorder, and losing the relationships and career opportunities to your sport.

2) You may hide in the bushes while someone they come and struggles on their project you have ruthlessly wired through countless ascent, then you emerge from bushes, come down, and casually chuck a lap.

3) You may take off your shirt indoors to see who would be looking at your muscles meat, and pretend like you would do it this only because you are at a high temperature, but everyone is knowing of the truth,.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I just climb so that people can take pictures of me looking cool.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Then there's this...
Sexy

Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I've planted bushes around all my favorite climbs specifically for reason #2

David B · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205

Why We Write Articles About Why We Climb

same reason

BBQ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 554

Climbing friend,

Surely an educated Boulderite such as thine-self would know the number one reason why we do the climbing.

1) Addiction. Pure and simple. We do the climbing because the climbing releases all those endorphins, dopamines, serotonins and other brain chemicals associated with pleasure, without which, we all feel sexual frustrations and desperate cravings for red meats and fish heads. The question should be, "Are we chasing grades, or chasing the dragon?"

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

It makes the hurting stop? :-/

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

Awesome to see local CO crusher Jon Bernhard in that article !

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

I do it so I can wear a harness that accentuates the naughty crotch bulge.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

--- Invalid image id: 112447772 ---

Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 589

I really like the shinies. I'm like a magpie.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

Matt -

You are not doing the climbing enough if your gear is still shiny. Perhaps you spend too much time showing off the neck meat and wearing a beanie while crushing routes on pebbles, but real climbers do the climbing hundreds of feet up in the air with beaten up, much-loved gear.

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Good thoughts just went through this at Santa Barbara rock gym when the female that is about to move to Boulder smirked as I slipped working a route. She's obviously way cooler than me. That ego is far too large when she openly talks of chipping routes on green dome because "no one else climbs there so I can make it my own place". Watch out Colorado sending an ego with a chisel your way.

brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Why we do the climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started