Mountain Project Logo

Anyone swung Petzl PUR'Ice Picks yet?

Original Post
CCChanceR Ronemus · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 130

Petzl just released their new pure ice picks for the nomics, has anyone swung them yet? Thoughts? Wondering if it's worth picking up a pair.

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

Bump. Anyone?

N Nelsen · · Thornton, NH · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 140

Got some in the mail last week, I'll log some miles this week for work- I'll post some thoughts soon.

Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Thanks, I was wondering the same as I'm close to needing new picks.

Brandonian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

They are super sweet!

Derrek Anderson · · Albany, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 315

Agreed. Just tried them out on a few pitches of fairly hard/cold ice. Not sure about durability, but they are much better out of the box then the "Ice" picks IMHO (which were mediocre at best compared to Cascades).
First swing sticks feel solid, and no sticky removal issues like the "Ice" picks. Maybe a bit less beefy with a smaller and narrower first tooth design compared to older Petzl picks, which I feel is an improvement. Should do a bit better on cold and brittle Ice.
That said, I will swap them for Astros when mixed/dry tooling to avoid premature wear.

MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 10

These things are awesome! I put them on my nomics, have about 20 pitches so far. A little sticky to remove but I'll probably de-tune them a bit. The first tooth is indeed a bit longer so they are reasonable for mixed even without the T rating. It did change the swing of the nomic slightly though as they are a hair lighter.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

I've got them on my Quarks and Nomics.
Great penetration on the first swing. Haven't had the chance to try them in very brittle condition yet.
I'm keeping my set of "Ice" picks handy in case I decide to go up thin or mixed routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone swung Petzl PUR'Ice Picks yet?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started