Mountain Project Logo

Bolts for Cuba crowdfunding.

Original Post
Carol Kotchek · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 323

CROWD FUNDING FOR BOLTS IN CUBA

fundly.com/bolts-for-cuba-c…
Funding ends February 25th.

Cuba is a premier climbing destination and is getting mega popular since USA and Cuba relations have thawed. Unfortunately it is impossible for Cubans to get gear locally.

The goal of this crowdfunding is to provide the local climbing developers with hardware to keep existing climbing routes safe as well as develop new areas. Cuba has an almost limitless potential for great climbing and development.

Donations will be used to purchase at least one drill, backup batteries, bits, glue, bolts and anchors. Gear will be delivered to Yarobys Garcia, the lead Cuban developer to maintain existing routes and to developing new areas.

For more info on climbing in Cuba, check out CubaClimbing.com

cashmab · · Boston · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,923

Good luck with your campaign. I would help the cause if it wasn't for putting every spare dollar of mine into an equivalent campaign in the DR.

I purchased a new Bosch 36V SDS drill on eBay for $400 last year. It has been indispensable in our rebolting effort. Keep your eyes glued to eBay, you will get a good deal if you are patient.

I assume by now you have been in contact with Martin at Titan Climbing over in UK. He's demonstrated that he is very supportive of these efforts.

Best of luck. I hope to climb in Cuba someday.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392

Hey Carol,

I assume you're only buying Ti bolts but it doesn't say that (at least I didn't find it) on "...bolts-for-cuba"?

By the way, cubaclimbing.com results in "Server not found".

Dana Walters 1 · · Pacific Northwest · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 212

I'm trying to plan a trip to Cuba next year to climb. What kind of equipment are you looking for and are there still access issues?

Thanks

Kevin Kent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,541

Bumping this.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there planning Cuba trips this winter. I just talked to Armando Menocal about what they needed most and he said it's best to just donate to the still active fundly campaign (https://fundly.com/bolts-for-cuba-climbing-1) because they get a discount on hardware purchases that us normal schmucks don't. 

It sounds like they were successful getting a lot of bolting equipment sent down last year but from what I've heard there's a lot of routes that still need upgrading to Titanium and that stuff ain't cheap so consider donating. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Bolts for Cuba crowdfunding. "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started