Mountain Project Logo

Leaving my job and traveling for a while- need help with ideas

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Old lady H wrote: Come through Boise sometime, and ya got a catch anyway. You buy the coffee, though. :-)
Harsh words from Lady H!
Xam · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 76

Seems to me you are missing out on the chance to do some desert crack climbing between NC and red rock. It will be super easy to find partners in IC and for towers that time of the year.

Will Liakos · · Asheville, NC · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

I worked for the past year and a half in order to take a trip like this - no trust fund. I only put in the med school part because people seem to respond more to posts on here with details like that and, who knows, maybe a healthcare person checking this out will more seriously consider meeting up because of it.

Anyway, I'm leading in the 5.10 range for trad and 5.11 range for sport. Been climbing mostly long multipitch trad routes recently and that's mostly what I'm looking for, though the Wyoming sport crags are very appealing. I wasn't sure about going to Yosemite since I've never really climbed there before and it seems like such a different type of climbing that takes a while to get used to. Maybe not the best experience for a few month long trip?

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683

How about Moab/Indian Creek? April would be great (a little warm) and should be plenty of people around to partner with. Two weeks of desert splitters would give you a great foundation for your summer roadtrip. Plus it would be a shame to travel to the West for 4 months without climbing a desert tower!

Go to the Valley! With the amount of time you have you would get comfortable with the style and have an amazing time. Stay your two weeks (or is it one week?) in Camp 4 and by then you will figure out how to stay in the area longer.

Lovers Leap is definitely worth a short visit for super fun moderate multipitch. Good climbers camp right at the base with cool boulders for rest day/evening. Two weeks is more time than you need there, but right nearby are places like Phantom Spires and Eagle Lake Cliffs definitely worth a visit too. Good free camping in national forests in the area.

A month between ORG and Pine Creek seems like a lot. Both great crags and Bishop is cool but you would probably be happy with a week there, then come back in the summer when the alpine stuff opens up.

I, too heard that Shuteye Ridge sucks and don't bother...

City of Rocks is awesome but would be hot in June. Maybe stop through for a day or two if it's on the way and find shade. Ditto for the Wasatch with the exception of Lone Peak Cirque. No camping really so it helps to know someone in SLC.

A month of limestone sport climbing and Wind River alpine rock to finish the trip sounds perfect!

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

You definitely shouldn't miss out on the Valley. It may get a little busy but totally worth it!! Plenty of moderates you'll never run out of climbs to do, fairly easy to find partners (finding safe, experienced people could be challenging), and if you stayed long enough in CA you might be able to hit up the spots in Tuolumne after the road opens.

Tons of stuff in the east Sierra and all around. Pine creek, Bishop, Whitney Portal, Alabama Hills, Temple Crag, Mammoth area, list goes on. Great place for the summer if you can swing it, some places can be hot but great weather at higher elevations.If you had the time you could follow the weather around... If you're a hiker the east Sierra is amazing, too, and lots of hot springs.. I likely have some bias because I'm in California.

If you have the time you must stop in IC/Moab area, like Kevin said it should be easy to get a partner out there. I guess it depends if you're into that style or not (cracks/towers), but there is variety, and the hiking and mountain biking are unparalleled as well.

I think that once you're on the road you'll be moving along as you see fit (staying around places longer because you like it, leaving earlier maybe because of weather, etc), so I wouldn't tie yourself too much to the itinerary you've listed here. Just take some notes on where you want to go/how to get there and a general idea and go with it. Post up in the area forums before you show up and I'm sure you'll find a partner (I know I'd be down to climb once you're in CA!).

Also, props to you for working your butt off and treating yourself with a trip before med school. Good luck!

Will Liakos · · Asheville, NC · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

Thanks Kevin and Carla! I've heard from a few other people over the past few days that the Valley is absolutely worth any learning curve or abundance of other visitors so I think it's going to go on the itinerary. I like the idea of Moab, too, I didn't realize how many multipitch climbs were out there- thought it was mostly Indian Creek-style one pitch routes.

I appreciate the encouragement!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Matt Pierce wrote: Not really, other than the fact that - I'm super sick of - in a world super connected with every damn resource (Internet) available to anyone someone needs to post on a public website that 'hey y'all mommy and daddy paid for all my schoolin' and now I get a great break before med school I need some advice...' Learn like the rest of us - get your ass on the road with some basic guide books and few antiquated maps - meet some locals - be humble - get your ass kicked - and find your own adventure Instead of looking to people online to TELL you where to go and what to do...
We are all truly sorry we're not using the internet the way you want us to.
Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Hey, doing virtually the same thing with the exception that I'm in the process of applying to medical school. Quitting my Job in Boulder March 10th and driving back to Durham before starting my trip. I already have a partner of sorts but please PM and we can connect. I'd love to chat and I'm sure we will be at some of the same areas at the same times.

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

As others have said, don't miss the Valley. One week at Lovers Leap should be enough. June is not too hot for City of Rocks, I've had snow there in June. While at the City venture over to Castle Rock. Might consider more than two weeks at Red Rock. If you're in the City June 16-24, stop by campsite 31 if you need a partner.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Leaving my job and traveling for a while- need…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started