Mountain Project Logo

Outdoor Retailer Winter 2017 new climbing gear

Original Post
Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78

Ran across this, figured it was time to start a thread.

wildsnow.com/21515/outdoor-…

Looks like nothing super exciting is shown yet. The blog above is a backcountry ski blog, so they probably skipped the climbing-specific stuff (if there was any). Mostly some new fast/light mountaineering axes and headlamp updates. New sirocco helmet looks pretty interesting.

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I heard petzl may have a new Nomic-true?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
shoo wrote:Ran across this, figured it was time to start a thread. wildsnow.com/21515/outdoor-… Looks like nothing super exciting is shown yet. The blog above is a backcountry ski blog, so they probably skipped the climbing-specific stuff (if there was any). Mostly some new fast/light mountaineering axes and headlamp updates. New sirocco helmet looks pretty interesting.
I'd say Wildsnow definitely skipped anything climbing.
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Petzl has a new version of their Sirocco foam helmet that's even lighter.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:Petzl has a new version of their Sirocco foam helmet that's even lighter.
The Wildsnow link has it 15g heavier. But at least they did away with the botched circumcision look. Worth the additional weight right there.
a.l. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5

Apparently, BD has trimmed ski prices by firing their graphic design department.

Those look like poop.

Nathan G · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 10
Jason Todd wrote: The Wildsnow link has it 15g heavier. But at least they did away with the botched circumcision look. Worth the additional weight right there.
Yep, it's slightly heavier but has a reinforced top and lower sides/back for more protection. It looks pretty sick!
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

The new Black Diamond ice clippers look like they will actually be able to compete with the Petzl Caritool. The new Petzl ice clipper looks pretty sweet as well.

Rodney P · · Ouray,CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 335

Damn those outdoor gear retailers always coming up with new shiny shit I think I need to have!

Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78
Nick Sweeney wrote:The new Black Diamond ice clippers look like they will actually be able to compete with the Petzl Caritool. The new Petzl ice clipper looks pretty sweet as well.
Yup. Crazy how long it took BD to offer an ice clipper that would work with its own harness ice clipper slots, and for how long it took Petzl to release a version, which worked with non-slot harnesses, and that they happen to be releasing them at roughly the same time.
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I saw BD's new ice clippers at the Mountaineer the other day. Those things are huge! They look crazy big in the article where they're attached to a harness.

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120
a.l. wrote:Apparently, BD has trimmed ski prices by firing their graphic design department. Those look like poop.
To each their own - I personally like the simplicity. I think of something like touring skis more as tools. There's plenty of skis out there that spec and performance wise I'd like, but they have graphics that look like some meth-head goth artist did the graphics for at 4 am on a bender.

I'm exaggerating, but just saying - simple isn't always bad.
a.l. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5
Sean H wrote:.. simple isn't always bad.
Simple can be beautiful-but those ski graphics still look like poop on a stick. Poopsticks.
Nathan · · Tel Aviv · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 107

I've been waiting for the new sirocco for a bit. Was about to get one this summer when I heard they were coming out with new colors, glad the wait is almost over.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
adeadhead wrote:I've been waiting for the new sirocco for a bit. Was about to get one this summer when I heard they were coming out with new colors, glad the wait is almost over.
I also have been waiting to see what the 2nd Gen would look like. I think the orange ones are the ugliest helmet ever; color AND shape. As a chemist, I knew the initial explanation for the orange color ("That's the inherent color of the material") was a load of cattle dung. Now the question is: can I fit a thick hat under one of these?
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Bill Kirby wrote:I saw BD's new ice clippers at the Mountaineer the other day. Those things are huge! They look crazy big in the article where they're attached to a harness.
Which is nice for clipping tools to if you're already racked with screws. I am stoked. Is "the Mountaineer" a gear shop? I didn't realize they were released yet.
Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
Sean H wrote: To each their own - I personally like the simplicity. I think of something like touring skis more as tools. There's plenty of skis out there that spec and performance wise I'd like, but they have graphics that look like some meth-head goth artist did the graphics for at 4 am on a bender. I'm exaggerating, but just saying - simple isn't always bad.
I agree. I have the type of obnoxious graphics you describe. The ski is well built and and the price was right, so I couldn't pass. But I would rather have a clean, simple design like BD.
John Butler · · Tonopah, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
Jason Todd wrote: The Wildsnow link has it 15g heavier. But at least they did away with the botched circumcision look. Worth the additional weight right there.

The rep told me 5g heavier... but 15 or 5, it's way nicer.

I think he said june-july in stores
DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

^Fall in the outdoor industry starts July 1

No changes to piolets for Fall 17. Anything there this season was already introduced. They introduced an adze option on the viper.

No updates to climbing hardware.

The big thing for me was the updated lumen count to the headlamps. Most everything important gets a boost without a price increase. The gizmo goes away and gets replaced by the Astro.

New summit pack option, $79.95.

To me, there's not much cool being done in the TUV certified tech realm. The race world is where it gets good, although there's not much of that at OR other than Dynafit, Scott, and Salomon. The weights on the Radical 2 and Vipec are so close to not even be noticeable. Honestly it's brand loyalty at this point. The new Vipecs are cool, but not game changing like Wildsnow reps.

For me, the update to the Voile Vector was interesting. It becomes the UltraVector, becomes a bit lighter, 2mm fatter, thicker sidewall, and they add a women's specific model. It basically becomes more of an all-conditions, ";go-far";, big mountain ski. All their skis get a graphics update.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Gunkiemike wrote: I also have been waiting to see what the 2nd Gen would look like. I think the orange ones are the ugliest helmet ever; color AND shape. As a chemist, I knew the initial explanation for the orange color ("That's the inherent color of the material") was a load of cattle dung. Now the question is: can I fit a thick hat under one of these?
and get a hood over it without pulling your collar up over your eyes.
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180
Nick Sweeney wrote:The new Black Diamond ice clippers look like they will actually be able to compete with the Petzl Caritool. The new Petzl ice clipper looks pretty sweet as well.
Compete for what, who can drop the most amount of ice screws down a waterfall? Congrats to Petzl and BD, they both succeeded in not fixing the biggest shortcoming of plastic ice clippers.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Outdoor Retailer Winter 2017 new climbing gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started