Mountain Project Logo

Phoenix climbing advice...

Original Post
Justen Wilkes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hello All!

I am heading to Phoenix for a week or so for a crash course at the Honeywell office. Anyways, what I'm trying to say, is that I will be busy during the day, but looking for some areas to climb or boulder that are close. Ive never been to this area and do not know anything about it..I will research, but I thought maybe someone could help a Canadian out with where to go and what to do. And, if anyone cares to climb with me, that would be even more appreciated! I would like to climb something fun and check that box!!
Thanks to anyone who replies!
Cheers.
PS I will be there around Jan.20 or so..until the 28 or so..depends how long work wants to pay! lol

Phil Sakievich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 131

If you are at the Honeywell office near Warner and the 10 then bouldering at South Mountain is a possibility. Approach to the opening boulders will take you 15-30 min depending on how quick you walk and if you know where you're going.

Camelback and Look Out Mountain are probably the only other things in the city. Outside that you are looking at a drive to get to McDowells, Pinnacle Peak, Superstitions or QC. If you've got a weekend check those out bc it is still getting dark around 6 or so.

For an awesome bouldering gym checkout Focus. It's really a world class facility. For a grungy 1990 climbing scene vibe go to Phoenix Rock Gym.

If you're at a Honeywell office in the west valley, well then, not a lot of options. Ape Index (gym) is probably you're only option.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Depending on time you have. Their is some of climbing/bouldering at camelback. Parking sucks it's a busy city park with hiking. Their is pretty good bouldering at the Beardsley boulder pile. The McDowell's and pinnacle Peak are close for some trad and sport climbing and east of town and hour or so is more bouldering and sport climbing then you can do in 10 years. Queen Creek. Weather is great here now enjoy!!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

If anyone is looking to show me around or take me out that would be great!
I don't really want to bring my crash pad to Boulder due to size restrictions on the plane...But I would be happy to join a group some night or even have a belay partner at the gym!

Alex "Tojo" Kray · · Chandler, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 100

Justen,

If no one reaches out to you to boulder, Focus climbing gym rents crash pads and you can get a Marty South Mountain Guide at REI.

Jeanne Torres · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Don't live in Phoenix anymore, but used to. If you want to climb trad definitely check out the McDowells/Pinnacle Peak. If you can't find a partner and are alright with soloing easy terrain there's a few moderates out there that are definitely worth checking out: Hanging Gardens (5.6), Birthday Party (5.7), Beat Feet (5.7). If you can find a partner, head up to Tom's Thumb or the top of Pinnacle Peak.

Queen Creek and the Superstitions are good as well. The bouldering at South Mountain is mediocre, in my opinion, but really accessible and in a nice area.

Austin Sobotka · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 135

Don't live in Phoenix anymore, but used to. If you want to climb trad definitely check out the McDowells/Pinnacle Peak. If you can't find a partner and are alright with soloing easy terrain there's a few moderates out there that are definitely worth checking out: Hanging Gardens (5.6), Birthday Party (5.7), Beat Feet (5.7). If you can find a partner, head up to Tom's Thumb or the top of Pinnacle Peak.

Queen Creek and the Superstitions are good as well. The bouldering at South Mountain is mediocre, in my opinion, but really accessible and in a nice area.

I have yet to receive that info from my boss. Off of the top of his head, he has booked me in at a hotel near north 29th ave and the 101?! Deer Valley area if this makes sense?! I've never been to Phoenix in my life, so I'm just trying to get my bearings and try to climb as much as I can. Even if its indoors, I don't have much climbing where I live in Canada at the moment, every climb is at least 2-3 hour drive for single pitch sport.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

29ave and 101 is north Phoenix. closest place to that outside would be Beardsley boulder pile not a great place but pretty good bouldering and few short routes.
mountainproject.com/v/beard….
its off the 101 a few miles from 29ave.

Closet rock gym would be AZ on the Rocks 15-20 mins. or their is a new bouldering only gym called Black Rock Bouldering Gym.

Just wondering what you mean by 'not a great place'? Am I going to get stabbed or something?...Hope not. That would be awful! Lol
I am at the Honeywell office that is near where I'm staying.
Either way I'm hoping to climb everyday. Whether it be on real rock or plastic! It's great to have the options so close!
Thanks all!

I've made it to Phoenix! My classes run from 8-4. Friday is noon I believe!? And I leave Saturday afternoon.
So, anyone interest in climbing in or out door I'm interested.
I'm going to AZ on the rocks after work tonight if anyone needs a belay partner!?
Cheers.
Justen.

Mike · · Phoenix · Joined May 2006 · Points: 2,615

While Beardsley Boulders are not great, as others have said they are your closest option. I won't be able to join you, but have a crappy pad you can borrow if you want. I live fairly close. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

^^^^^

Up rope!

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

I'd love to sport and trad climb at queen creek canyon and camelback mountain in about a week/1.5 weeks! I'm coming through Texas at the moment!

It's all true! Haha
I met some great people in the area the week I was here. Greg and his wife Felicia really went above and beyond.
I hope to come back for some more leisure and less work!
Thanks all!

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

I hate getting pulled on by the rope, whether it be TR,lead, auto belay. Chill out with that overprotective attitude.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Phoenix climbing advice..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started