Mountain Project Logo

Leaving my job and traveling for a while- need help with ideas

Original Post
Will Liakos · · Asheville, NC · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

I'm leaving my job March 25 and traveling around the US while climbing until I start med school Aug 1. I'm trying to think of itineraries but it's somewhat difficult since all of my belay partners have jobs/school and can't do the full time with me. So if anyone wants to come along let me know, but also comment if you think there are better places I can find partners more easily and still be near good climbing.

So far:

March 25-April 1: Western NC climbing
April 1-14: Red Rock
April 15-30: Owens River Gorge
May 1-14: Pine Creek Canyon
May 15-30: Lover's Leap

June: City of Rocks/Wasatch

July: Wild Iris/Ten Sleep/Wind River climbs

Any and all comments are welcome!

Josiah Cooper · · El Paso, TX · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 30

May I suggest posting in the forums of the different regions to which you're traveling. Other people in those areas or also travelling there will be looking for partners as well, and that's the first place they'll look. Best of luck with your road trip/climbing goals, you've got a killer itinerary going on there!!

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

Don't miss out on Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in northern "are-Kansas". Super-popular annual event that attracts the pros.

Josiah Cooper · · El Paso, TX · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 30
Paul Hutton wrote:Don't miss out on Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in northern "are-Kansas". Super-popular annual event that attracts the pros.
The annual event that is 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell happens in September. Med school will already be in session. If you can make it out during that time though, I highly recommend checking it out at twofourhell.com!
Will Liakos · · Asheville, NC · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

^24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell looks like a bunch of fun! But you're right, I'll already be in school.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and for the messages I've gotten, too. Which reminds me that if anyone sees this and wants to join somewhere along the way, let me know!

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma might be on your drive path. Also Roy NM and stuff around Albuquerque.

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62
wliakos89 wrote:April 15-30: Owens River Gorge May 1-14: Pine Creek Canyon May 15-30: Lover's Leap
In addition to, or instead of, these NorCal venues, you might want to consider Yosemite. I haven't climbed at all 3 of those areas, but as much as I like the Leap, I find it more of a local's spot and not comparable to the epic, international climbing destination of Yosemite, Valley or Tuolumne.
beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Thinking about this, the number of places boggle my mind. It is obvious you should leave your job earlier.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

What are you looking for? What is your ability level? It's hard to offer recommendations without more info. Personally, I'd skip a lot of the stuff on your list and head straight to Utah after Red Rock and then Yosemite, but long trad and crack climbs are what interest me the most at the moment.

Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 589

It's pretty easy to find partners in Ten Sleep in July, so you're on point there

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

For the Idaho portion, you might want to check the dates for the Idaho Mountain Festival, at Castle Rock, which bumps up activity at COR, and is the only time camping is allowed in Castle.

You might also check out the Sawtooths, and, depending on where you are driving and if you are a pretty strong climber, you might look at the Finns (Idaho), our hardest climbing and not well known.

Best, OLH

M Sprague wrote:Matt P, any good reason you have to be a jerk?
Jussst a guess, maybe a teensy bit of jealousy?? :-)

Wait, you said good reason.

Snowed in?

Wait, good reason, not an excuse.

Hmmm....
M Sprague wrote:Matt P, any good reason you have to be a jerk?
Not really, other than the fact that - I'm super sick of - in a world super connected with every damn resource (Internet) available to anyone someone needs to post on a public website that 'hey y'all mommy and daddy paid for all my schoolin' and now I get a great break before med school I need some advice...'

Learn like the rest of us - get your ass on the road with some basic guide books and few antiquated maps - meet some locals - be humble - get your ass kicked - and find your own adventure

Instead of looking to people online to TELL you where to go and what to do...
Old lady H wrote: Jussst a guess, maybe a teensy bit of jealousy?? :-) Wait, you said good reason. Snowed in? Wait, good reason, not an excuse. Hmmm....
Not jealous at all bro
M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
Matt Pierce wrote: Not really, other than the fact that - I'm super sick of - in a world super connected with every damn resource (Internet) available to anyone someone needs to post on a public website that 'hey y'all mommy and daddy paid for all my schoolin' and now I get a great break before med school I need some advice...' Learn like the rest of us - get your ass on the road with some basic guide books and few antiquated maps - meet some locals - be humble - get your ass kicked - and find your own adventure Instead of looking to people online to TELL you where to go and what to do...
Sounds like a bunch of assumptions and negativity on your part. Hope you feel better soon.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Yeah. Nowhere did he mention a trust fund, and the fact that he's quitting his JOB suggests that he at least somewhat supports himself...

Congrats on getting into med school, btw!

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Matt Pierce wrote: Not jealous at all bro
sure looks like it brah
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Kind of ironic post from Matt in another thread-

Matt Pierce wrote: Too bad so many MP folks here are ignoring Rule #1...
Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
Matt Pierce wrote: Not really, other than the fact that - I'm super sick of - in a world super connected with every damn resource (Internet) available to anyone someone needs to post on a public website that 'hey y'all mommy and daddy paid for all my schoolin' and now I get a great break before med school I need some advice...' Learn like the rest of us - get your ass on the road with some basic guide books and few antiquated maps - meet some locals - be humble - get your ass kicked - and find your own adventure Instead of looking to people online to TELL you where to go and what to do...
I'll help you move away. This grants us all the opportunity to have a partner, wherever he happens to stop, including me. Get outta here.
So, meet some locals = good.

Post up on MP to do so = bad.

Hmmm...Is it okay to be in the partner finder?

Just asking. Ya know, we get an impression of you here, too, and reiterating pettiness about mommy and daddy does not win you any points.

With like, 12,000 potential partners that MP claims read this?

No one has any problem with whatever attitude thing you've got going here, you're entitled to get your nose as out of joint over nothing as you want, but you are only doing damage to yourself.

Best, from the bro, Helen

Yeah, man makes no assumptions, nossirreee.

Come through Boise sometime, and ya got a catch anyway. You buy the coffee, though. :-)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Leaving my job and traveling for a while- need…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started