Mountain Project Logo

New England Ice Late March?

Original Post
Crack Slabbath · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 500

I'm a school teacher in Chattanooga with spring break March 20-24. Ice climbing is something I've wanted to learn for a while now and I was wondering if or which New England states still had any around that late in the season (that's spring for us down South...). It might be pretty subjective but is it worth even planning a trip?

I'd be looking for a guiding service for a few days and maybe possible partners to show me around after that.

Thanks!

AHP · · New Paltz, NY · Joined May 2013 · Points: 10

Definitely possible in the White Mountains of NH

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Late march is certain possible. It could actually be great or it could be finished?? really hard telling until you get much closer to the date.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

There will certainly be ice climbing to be had on Mt washington. the larger more uncertain question is will there be low eleveation ice to crag on.

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Hey Chet, we typically have ice late march here in VT, or at least somewhere in New England. Petra Cliffs ( petracliffs.com/mountaineer…) would be happy to work with your schedule and find something that will work this time of year!

Crack Slabbath · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 500

Thanks guys. I'm going to plan on making my way up there and look for guides closer to time. Other than Petra in VT and Fox in NH, any guide recommendations?

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Other guides in VT include Adventure Spirit.. in NH, IME, NEM, and Synnott Mountain guides would be great choices!

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

All good recommendations by Max. Late March can be one of the best times to climb in northern New England, just depends on our crazy weather here

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "New England Ice Late March?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.