Mountain Project Logo

Joe's Valley guidebook or alternatives

Original Post
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Hi all,

So my daughter (who is climbs on her local gym team) has a cheer competition in Sandy sometime in late March. Bless her heart, she wants dad to take her to Joe's Valley after the comp is over. I know the Joe's guide and the black bible are out of print. Other than referring to what's on this site, what are people using these days? I know there's Joe's Valley Facebook page that supposedly mentions a new guidebook in the works, but everything on that page related to the recent festival. I couldn't find anything on that page about an anticipated release date. Help!

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
wikiboulder.com/guides/guid…

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Broken. Looks good appreciate the response.

Bump...Anyone else?

Ben Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,823

Mountain Project is in fact pretty good as long as you are okay at cross-referencing areas to each other. Locating a specific boulder that you come across in the woods, or identifying a problem/boulder in a larger area of boulders is very difficult but as long as you know you are at, say, Riverside boulders or Big Joe or something it's pretty easy to figure out what you're looking at.

The MP overall page for Joe's definitely needs some organizational improvements or at the very least a beta map.

Food Ranch has a guidebook you can look at, photograph pages, etc.
Usually you'll run into some climbers with the guidebook and they'll let you do likewise.

Good luck! Joe's is awesome.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the replies.

Jack Crockett · · SLC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16

If you go to and/or call the IME gear shop in Salt Lake they can help you find a copy.

Lucas Rocha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi from Brazil...

I am heading to Joe's next year...  I am looking for some guidebook but is hard to find it, i've heard rumors about a new guidebook. I'll be there with my wife for a month, which place is better to camp? New joe's or Right fork? Or do you think is better to camp 15 days at News...and then 15 days at Right....can i find the boulders without a guidebook? i am going on may 15th till 15 jun...

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

You will cook at New Joe's in June. New Joe's is where everyone goes in winter when the canyons are too dark and cold.

Lucas Rocha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
R. Moran wrote:

You will cook at New Joe's in June. New Joe's is where everyone goes in winter when the canyons are too dark and cold.

Even if i climb till 10am and after 5pm? I m going to Red River Gorge before

I wouldn't travel all the way from Brazil to chase morning and evening shade at Joe's in June. That's me. If you are set on bouldering there then all the way up Right Fork is Dairy Canyon. It's higher altitude like 7000 ft . That's probably gonna be your best bet. Joe's is awesome . I just wouldn't make it a June thing. If you are trying for Good Bouldering in June try , Durango CO, or Flagstaff AZ, MT. Evans CO. If you do go to Joe's and its too Hot Maple Canyon isn't too far and good fun Summer Sport Climbing. Good luck have fun!

I'm no lawyer but bringing it across state lines is a felony and Utah is like a Nazi state on that stuff. But yeah I'd bring it because you ain't gonna score some at the food ranch!

Brian Koralewski · · Springville, UT · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,887
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Joe's Valley guidebook or alternatives"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started