Mountain Project Logo

Lost: NUT TOOL (Red Rocks)

Original Post
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

I lost a nut tool (which has a lot of value to me). Either at Fender Bender or Man's Best Friend in the Sandstone Quarry or at Birdland or the Brass Wall in Pine Creek. In addition to covering any expenses you might incur I will also reward you very well if you return it to me. Thanks!

Bump.

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

There is a nut tool on Birdland on the second pitch as of 2 days ago. Easily snagged with a coat hanger or scrounge in a deep crack near a black water bottle. I didn't inspect it too closely but probably a black diamond tool without a built in biner, but thats just my intuition.

If that sounds like it's yours go get it, and please try to keep our classic climbs in Red Rock free of your litter. Maybe after you've climbed for a while you will better understand the ethics of the area.

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
Rprops wrote:If that sounds like it's yours go get it, and please try to keep our classic climbs in Red Rock free of your litter. Maybe after you've climbed for a while you will better understand the ethics of the area.

I rest my case. Josh, hope you get that nut tool back, sounds like it had some sentimental value.
Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78
Gavin W wrote: I rest my case. Josh, hope you get that nut tool back, sounds like it had some sentimental value.
Pretty late entry, but I nominate this ^^ for post of the year,
Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

+1

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
shoo wrote: Pretty late entry, but I nominate this ^^ for post of the year,
I don't know - even someone as experienced as Josh deserves a little flak for asking for a nut tool back. :)

It was worth losing my nut tool just for the laugh I got from Gavin W's post. And Rprops, thanks for the bump!

Thanks for the lead on the nut tool on the second pitch of Birdland, Rprops. You were right - it was a BD and not mine. Pretty sure I lost it at the base (just not sure if it was Birdland or the Sandstone Quarry the following day) in the rush to pack up. I'm mainly bumping in hopes that the person who may have picked it up might see this and be compelled to get in touch by my offer of a generous and gracious reward.

Benj84 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 435

I know you said you where thinking at the base but I was up there a couple days ago and there was one stuck in the tree at the 2nd(?) belay station, was hanging there just out of safe reach...

Oh god I have to go climb it for a third time in two weeks now.

I know, right? Benj84 may have come up with the ultimate troll though: Suckering me into going and soloing Birdland for a made-up nut tool. 9/10. If I die, the blood is on your hands, Ben, the blood is on your hands.

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone.
Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.

Rprops wrote:Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone. Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.
Also, according to all the hysteria, er, beta I read, stay off the rock for approximately one month after it rains. You can't be too careful. This is your life we're talkin' about here.
n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Rprops wrote:Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone. Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.
That's what climbing needs: rationing.

OK, just got back. Unfortunately no sign of the nut tool in the tree. However I was able to recover the following:

--- Invalid image id: 112428078 ---

Rprops, are you sure this stuff isn't yours? PS: Sorry I couldn't reach the water bottle.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,974

Josh...that is too good. At present Rprops is just trying to extricate his foot from his mouth. Sorry, you didn't locate your nut tool. Good luck.

Benjamin Chapman wrote:Josh...that is too good. At present Rprops is just trying to extricate his foot from his mouth. Sorry, you didn't locate your nut tool. Good luck.
I get the impression Rprops and Josh are friends; Rprops is just giving him some "jazz."
Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652

I hear your nut tool was spotted over the Bermuda Triangle traveling on the Mary Celeste with Elvis Presley and Bigfoot

Yeah man, everything pictured is for sale. Or I'll trade it all plus a couple more C4's straight off my rack for the safe return of my nut tool.

Does that mean I can go climb it again!? 2017 is going to be AWESOME.

I have one other lead on this nut tool. While I was at Fender Bender in the Sandstone Quarry I ran into this really nice couple and we chatted a bit. I didn't get their names but they were from Southern Oregon (they said they get up to Smith for weekends but they have some good local crags too). They were here for a few days climbing and were the only other party I saw at Fender Bender when I packed up in a rush. The guy was tall and lean, dark skinned - maybe half black, and the girl was shorter and fair skinned. Anyone know who these climbers are? Perhaps they found my nut tool.

Yeah, I'll sell the cam for $40 local pickup or $48 shipped USPS Priority.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Lost: NUT TOOL (Red Rocks)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started