Mountain Project Logo

RRG Conditions This Week?

Original Post
Benjamin Schneider · · South Hamlintownburg, NH · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

Hello climbing friends,

I'm in KY for a week on business and have an opportunity to go to the RRG this coming weekend. Never climbed there before, but as I type this I sit on my flight, gear safely tucked away above me - just in case.

Any good places to go this time of year that are especially dry or sunny? Will I end up getting the rental car stuck going to Muir Valley? Crossing my fingers on weather holding out - looks like its dry after Wednesday down there.

Also, if anybody wants to climb on Saturday or Sunday, hit me up. I have gear and I'm down to follow a more skilled leader as well as I can.

Brandon Ribblett · · The road · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 80

You should be able to find some dry areas after Wednesday. a lot of the harder climbs stay dry in the rain. muir valley is a quality road the entire way while the road to pmrp is often in bad condition even more so after a rain. good luck on your trip!

PeteBrezz · · lawrenceville,GA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Defiantly don't take your rental car to chocolate factory. Conditions should be okay for Saturday

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115
mountainproject.com/v/solar…

Solar collector will get nice and warm with a little sun.
Mike Knight · · Detroit, MI · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 55

muir is a safe bet any car is fine there its just a average dirt road. I would recommend indy wall at muir it has all day sun, clean belay areas and slightly overhung.

Ben Murphy · · Palisade, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

You might want to post up on redriverclimbing.com as well if you're looking for a partner.

Benjamin Schneider · · South Hamlintownburg, NH · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

Thank you everyone for the info so far. From watching videos it looks like there are permadraws on a lot of routes, which would be a first for me. I'll take my sport/trad rack, of course - and probably end up doing the ol' "tape hot hands to your wrists" trick.

Can't wait for my first time on sandstone! I'll probably stick to sport routes because of my inexperience placing pro in this type of rock.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG Conditions This Week? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started