Mountain Project Logo

Peru Climbing - guide advice?

Original Post
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Hello fellow climbers!

So I am looking at going to Peru this year to do some climbing and sadly could not muster up any partners to join me due to lack of vacation time, significant others, cost, etc etc etc etc.

With no friends, I'm looking at getting a local private guide for Artesonraju and/or something else in that technical realm. However, most local companies are quoting me $700-800USD PER DAY! With most climbs being 5-7 days, costs quickly move into ridiculous territory.

For example, my quote from PeruvianAndes includes a whole lot of labor and logistics for what boils down to supporting two people - me and a local UIAGM guide. Below is what is being hauled along for a 6 day climb.

Additional Personnel:
1x Assistant PMGA certified guide (yes, that makes 2 total guides for one single climber)
1x Cook
1x Base Camp Guardian
Climbing porters
Donkeys + donkey drivers
Private bus + driver

Equipment:
Kitchen tent w/ all equipment
Dining tent w/ table and chairs
Toilet tent + toilet
Tents for all personnel above

Has anybody had good experiences with guides out there who do lighter weight climbs? I am fine paying a UIAGM guide a few hundred bucks a day, but bringing everything including the kitchen sink (literally) seems very unnecessary.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Did you ask them to provide a quote for exactly what you require? It's smart business to up sell you.

alpinejason wrote:Did you ask them to provide a quote for exactly what you require? It's smart business to up sell you.
I've sent a few emails asking for lighter weight options. Still waiting for responses. Most seem like they have packaged responses, and then require a lot of time to do anything outside their pre-set trips.

Bump. Anybody's Peruvian experiences would be much appreciated!

Brian C. · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,100

We used Skyline Adventure School to do logistics for us. We did not use a guide but did have them hook us up with a cook and transportation and some donkeys. I don't remember our exact costs but it was very affordable. Plus they were awesome people to deal with and helped us move our plans around after the conditions went south. I would definitely recommend them.

skyline-adventures.com/

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

Cook and base camp guardian are usually the same person and super cheap, as are porters, mules, and transportation (no park pass?). 80% of that cost is going towards the guides and equipment. Definitely create a list of exactly what you want and contact companies based on that. It also helps to first arrange through a logistics person (Zarela is great) and have them call around for rates. The locals know how to get the better deals.

Caleb Johnson · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

Check out skyhighandes.com/
I did some climbing with Nathan a couple years back. He is super cool, has logistics on lock down, and works with some truly awesome local guides. If you could be convinced to climb in the Cusco Region he is the way to go.

Ryan Marsters - Is it typically easy to hire a guide or get a logistics person at Zarela? That is where I am staying. I got that advice too from another climber I know, but I'm just a little worried about trying to book a longer trip in that fashion. Would love to hear how it went if you have done it in the past.

Brian C. - Yeah, Skyline seems pretty ligitimate. They are my current highest contender. I'm guessing that they do their booking from the USA and communicate back and forth to Peru, so I'm playing the waiting game with them at the moment.

Igneous - Seems like a cool option, but I am already going to be in Huarez for another climb. If I ever check out Machu Picchu with the significant other or fam, I'll probably give him a call. Thanks for the info!

Thanks guys!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Peru Climbing - guide advice?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.