Mountain Project Logo

Climbing goals for 2017

Original Post
Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

With 2016 wrapping up, What are your climbing goals for 2017?

I'm wanting to start leading trad, comfortably lead 5.10b sport routes, and lead at least one sport route that's a 5.11a.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

My goals are the same as they have always been.

1a) have fun
1b) don't get hurt
2) climb more

I am 50 and climb in the 10s (sport & trad [location dependent]). There is an entire world of climbs out there in my range. Sure, I would like to climb harder. There are a 5.9s in Tahquitz I want to redpoint (Open Book & Whodunnit) and I want to get on Flower of High Rank over at Suicide, but if I don't get it this year, eh.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55
Matt Himmelstein wrote:My goals are the same as they have always been. 1a) have fun 1b) don't get hurt 2) climb more I am 50 and climb in the 10s (sport & trad [location dependent]). There is an entire world of climbs out there in my range. Sure, I would like to climb harder. There are a 5.9s in Tahquitz I want to redpoint (Open Book & Whodunnit) and I want to get on Flower of High Rank over at Suicide, but if I don't get it this year, eh.
I'v never met Matt (sounds like my kind of guy though)
1. Have more fun
2. Be even less hurt than Matt :)
3. Climb even more

At 68 and a "never was a hardman" this works for me. Nice goals Matt
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Not die.

M Kilts · · Ogden, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 45

Like others I plan to get out more and have fun!

I also just recently purchased 23 used stoppers and I am looking forward to getting into trad. Still need a bit more equipment but one of my goals is to be leading multi pitch trad towards the end of 2017!

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

1. Climb a bunch.
2. Have fun.
3. Not die.
4. Not get hurt.

I'm starting the year out right, at El Potrero Chico, and I've also got a climbing trip to South Africa planned for spring. (Well, our spring.)

A bit more concrete:

Establish at least 3 or 4 new lines at Lac Sam.
Encourage others to establish, or finish, new lines there too.
Establish trail access to left wing at Lac Sam -- rather than current bushwhack.

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90
ViperScale wrote:Not die.
Dammit... you beat me to it. ;)
ZB 4yr · · Worcester · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 385

I am 26. With a really high paying management position at a large company. My goal is to work up the courage to quit. I'll buy a cap for my truck and travel. That's my goal I guess. Find the courage to quit my job and climb more. Not just rock but snow/ice apline stuff too. All this gear in my truck. None of it used nearly enough

Kurtz · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 4,632

1. Sell the house.
2. Buy a Sprinter.
3. Hit the road.
4. Climb the areas I've only read about on MP.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

1. Get a car
2. Climb more
3. Get my SPA
4. Climb 7c+ (5.13a)
5. Grow larger balls and climb E5 (5.12a)
6. break new ground.

McHull · · Catoctin Mt · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 260
Matt Himmelstein wrote:My goals are the same as they have always been. 1a) have fun 1b) don't get hurt 2) climb more I am 50 and climb in the 10s
Chris Rice wrote: I'v never met Matt (sounds like my kind of guy though) 1. Have more fun 2. Be even less hurt than Matt :) 3. Climb even more At 68 and a "never was a hardman" this works for me. Nice goals Matt
X3
I'm 48 and to climb with Matt and Chris.

Matt
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

This is a nice thread because it's basically what climbers' New Years Resolutions will be...aside from "climb more."

I'd like to get up some big multipitches, push my trad grade into the 10s, and comfortably lead 11s. Maybe project a 12.

Derick Page · · Ft Collins · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 35

Since I've only led a few pitches in the Flatirons, I want to spend more time there to become more efficient at building anchors and becoming comfortable on the sharp end since lots of the Flatirons aren't too sharp any way. From there a few things in RMNP as trad leads are on my wish list, Sky route on the Twin Owls, almost anything on McGregor Slab, and the Sharkstooth.

A couple of couloirs in the moderate to steep range this spring, Boudoir couloir on Horseshoe Mtn and Dead Dog on Torreys.

If I can get these things accomplished in 2017 I'll be a happy camper as there's a 4 month old in my household now.

Jjensen · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 25

My goal is to get my kids out more. Very excited that my oldest may finally be big/old enough to lead belay me this year. That will open up a lot of new areas for us to climb together. Already have a few weekend trips planned with the family this spring/summer. Doing things you love with the people you love. Doesn't get better.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

Labrum permitting:

Lead at least one 11 (sport)
Lead at least one 10 on gear
Lead ten new to me 10s or higher.
Learn to aid/wall climb

I'm not a hardman, I know that. But if I can get comfortably back into the tens it opens up a lot of options for new places to climb.

Curly kN · · Austin, TX · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 85

1. Train more seriously
2. Start leading trad
3. Climb at places I've never been

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
McHull wrote: X3 I'm 48 and to climb with Matt and Chris. Matt
Chris, McHull, come on out to So Cal.
Peter Regan · · Washington · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

1. Climb more
2. Break through this stupid 5.9 plateau I've reached due to poor head game
3. Because I know I can break that plateau I want to get on some 11s later on
4. Work up the courage to stop caring so much about school and take weekend trips to the local (3hr drive) crag

As a stressed sophomore at a midwestern college I'm hoping I can make myself act on the fact that I've got a ton of wiggle room because of how I've done at school so far. I want to climb a ton more than I have been, and stop using the "I need to study" excuse to not climb on a Saturday

Nicholas Aretz · · Lakewood, Colorado · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 55

1) Red point 12a sport (Wet Dream?)
2) Red point El Diabolo Cracko
3) onsight 5.11 sport route

I will be spending less time trad climbing and focusing on sport. It is kind of funny because lots of people on the tread want to start trad climbing.

I am alway open to climb long routes if anyone is in Denver.

I also like to aid climb and have some big wall goals.

Have a great 2017 season!!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Justin Laursen · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 430

For me, 2017 will mostly be a continuation of my 2016 goal, which was to get comfortable leading trad.

This past year I moved my focus away from bouldering, only trying problems of V6 and below, and started hanging around with an old (retired!) crusty tradster crew. From them I got invaluable advice about placing gear, reading routes from the base, rope management, rescue situations/solutions, and general toughness - though taking a solid 45 minutes to fear climb up a single pitch of 5.6 at El Rito's (quartzite) trad area probably helped me more than anything. They also lit my stoke for climbing anew, with the their focus on what they climb and not necessarily how hard they climb. I also spent much of the past year developing a new area in town, exploring, putting in top anchors, cleaning routes, and building a trail to the base of the cliffs.

I hope to keep the momentum going and gain some more comfort on finger cracks and thin hands/ring locks. I'd also like to bolt some very moderate sport climbs around town, so that newish climbers have the option to lead something safe and well within their limits. I already have a Red Rocks trip planned for March, but being a couple hours from Indian Creek, I would also like to finally make my way over there. With my first kid on the way in April, getting into the alpine may seem like a pipe dream right now, but I also have my eyes on some of the longer routes in the Weminuche wilderness for the summer. This last one may seem dumb, but I would also like to fall on more gear that I've placed and maybe clean aid some routes.

Loving this thread, let's keep the stoke alive!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing goals for 2017"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started