Mountain Project Logo

What climb made you proud this year?

Original Post
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Maybe you finally sent that V9 boulder, lead your first trad route, or summited an 8000m peak. Let's do something besides argue - what one climb are you most proud of from the last 12 months? Pictures highly encouraged. Let's share the stoke and positive energy. Spray on.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

That stupid V2 at HP40 that anyone who has been there knows what I am talking about!

MikeOH · · PNW · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 60

Maybe not the climb that made me the most proud, but definitely had the most fun on. 300 ft. of traversing 100 ft above a cave was unique to say the least. Highly recommend to anyone passing by!

Cheers to another year
Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156

leading strictly from nowhere in the gunks, my first 5.7 there!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Had a kid in January, but still managed to get out about once a month and did my first bigger multipitch swapping leads on the Bastille Crack.

Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,725

Did the first ascent of this tower out in the San Rafael Swell:

Mirage Tower - Make Coal Wash Great Again

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

Beckey-Chouinard in the Buggs.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

The Decameron (5.10b) at the NRG.

It was love at first sight 1.5 years ago when I was introduced to outdoor climbing.

Now I need a new "project" for 2017.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

My first trip to Patagonia. Super stoked about the trip.

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

Onsite of the evolution traverse.

C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

Where to start! 2016 was a awesome climbing year in so many ways but my proudest accomplishment would be the pair of FAs I claimed with with my good friends Lang and Gus out in nowheres Alaska. The First was a 1200ft 5.10 we named Funding Denied.

Then there was the rowdy Life Insurance Policy? 5.10x 600ft. Scary climbing and sick views.

Hope you all send in 2017 like you did in 2016!

Bennett Boyer · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

I just started climbing again last February after about 8 years off. I had only top roped in the gym before this year so I had a lot of firsts. First time climbing outside, first gym lead, first sport climb, but I'm most proud of doing my first trad lead. It was only 5.4 ( Face the Notch @ Annapolis Rocks) but it was a blast leading on my own gear. Hoping to do my first multi-pitch lead in 2017.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

+ 1 for Patagonia! That place is f!ckin amazeballz!

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 192

2016 was awesome! Climbed a lot of great stuff. Probably the highlight was Epinephrine in October. I thought car-to-car in 12 hours wasn't too bad for us. We didn't fly up the route, but we moved efficiently. I thought that route would be a goal for next season and was really psyched to get on it this year!

Tarrant Seautelle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 20

Was super stoked to climb Mt. Whitney via the East Buttress in late August. Did the route car to car in a looooooong day with the girlfriend and two friends. Looking forward to getting after it in 2017!

wayne willoughby · · SEATTLE · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 95

Lots of highlights for me this year, my first ascent in the Black, Astrodog IAD, a sub seventeen-hour ascent of Lurking Fear on a 102* day, a push of Zodiac with Horsetail raining and even snowing on us. But a tie for first goes to...As far as I know, the first IAD ascent of Dark Side of the Moon in Zion, 16:40, and a 17:15 ascent of The Shortest Straw on El Cap.

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

I had a hip replacement in November 2015 so I was down a long time but I was really happy to start climbing again in 2016 and I was able to redpoint "I Turkey" (12a) mountainproject.com/v/i-tur… at Turkey rocks and "Madame de Guillotine" mountainproject.com/v/madam… (12c) in Eldo. I was also able to do one longish alpine day and did my 35th ascent of the Spearhead in RMNP.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

It was an interesting funemployment. If this was 14ers, I'd probably say Sherman solo or the Kelso ridge route on Torreys. I finally got to go to Red Rocks, which is all sorts of fun, while Red Rocks Canyon (near the Springs) can leave you needing to change your pants. Surprisingly, I could cite a really memorable gym route set by Traversi that scared off some stronger climbers than me.

However, the best is probably being the senior partner twice for Royal Flush. The first partner and I summited under a full moon, which was gorgeous. We got lost a couple of times on the trail down, thus possibly taking the record for longest car-to-car unless someone's bivied, but we made it. The second partner and I were rained off only a little below the summit. It was an adventure there since we were getting ready for the headwall pitches when she realized she had forgotten her headlamp. Thankfully the last rap was on another party's ropes for all the way to the ground, really nice guys who waited for us on purpose instead of pulling.

M Kilts · · Ogden, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 45

I just began climbing this year! Stoked to get into the sport. This was a climb in Hawaii while I worked there over the summer.

Makapu'u cliff face was windy but a blast

My first free solo
JimL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 22

I didn't climb much this year, so I don't have a proud moment. But I love this thread. From " getting schooled on the offwidth pitch" to " my first 5.7" to "I had a hip replacement in November 2015...I was able to redpoint "I Turkey" (12a)"...and another (12c) in Eldo.

The humility, honesty, and resilience of climbers makes this thread awesome.

Kris Boulder Vidal · · Daly City, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 125

Tree Problem V4 at Castle Rock in California. Seriously the hardest V4 ever. Took me at least 2 years to send. Now 11 months later, I can run laps on it.

I did get my first indoor V10 this year. But Tree Problem totally takes it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What climb made you proud this year?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started